• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone know how the fuel shortage solved itself?
Bleddy weird that! 🤷‍♂️
Simple, Wasn't mentioned in the media.

Mr Jinx

Anyone know how the fuel shortage solved itself?
Bleddy weird that! 🤷‍♂️
Yep, always the same. Hype, panic, shortage for ten days, then over. First fuel, now shelves.

The MSM just can't help themselves. They're gunning for Chrimbo now.

DB9

Yep, always the same. Hype, panic, shortage for ten days, then over. First fuel, now shelves.

I'd really like everyone if they can to watch maybe on ITVhub the very start of GMB at 7am last Thursday and the headlines, Look at it and then see why people panicked, The headlines and "Shouting it" in a hyperbole manner was just daft!

tavyred

It’s even becoming a bit boring now such is the predictability of it all.
Every sensible person I know realised early doors that a borderline non issue with one fuel firm had been exaggerated to the point where the public began panic buying. Yet, every time I switched the news on, there was a talking head slagging the Government off and desperately trying to make the issue about Brexit specifically or about the government’s performance generally, all usually unchallenged by the presenter it had to be said.
On DB’s subject of GMB, I can guarantee you that tomorrow will see them go big time on COVID with the express desire to get government talking about its ‘plan B’ and get the public panicking again.

DB9

It’s even becoming a bit boring now such is the predictability of it all.
Every sensible person I know realised early doors that a borderline non issue with one fuel firm had been exaggerated to the point where the public began panic buying. Yet, every time I switched the news on, there was a talking head slagging the Government off and desperately trying to make the issue about Brexit specifically or about the government’s performance generally, all usually unchallenged by the presenter it had to be said.
On DB’s subject of GMB, I can guarantee you that tomorrow will see them go big time on COVID with the express desire to get government talking about its ‘plan B’ and get the public panicking again.
GMB is "Tabloid Television" No decent newsworthy stuff and when they discuss the latest, Major news happening, Last week they had Kerry Katona as a contributor! I mean really???

tavyred

GMB is "Tabloid Television" No decent newsworthy stuff and when they discuss the latest, Major news happening, Last week they had Kerry Katona as a contributor! I mean really???
Yep.
I haven’t watched it since Piers Morgan used to do his regular unhinged COVID rants.
It was dire.

DB9

Yep.
I haven’t watched it since Piers Morgan used to do his regular unhinged COVID rants.
It was dire.
It's worse now.

Spoonz Red E

News has always had an uneasy alliance with advertisers and ratings.
Newspapers were always about selling an audience to advertisers as well as producing news.

The danger with continually attributing 'bad' stuff to 'the MSM' is that it becomes baby and bathwater stuff.
Journalism needs to be properly resourced to be effective and useful in a democracy.

With 24 hour news channels and the diminishing circulation wars of newspapers there is a steady descent into opinion versus hard news to grab audiences.
Social media, of course, has its own confirmation bias tramlines and clickbait tunnels.

A look at news in the USA shows you that there is further down the road to travel with Fox and CNN seemingly unable to present an item of hard news without a panel of opinion in order to frame it for their assumed audiences. It frustrates the hell out of me even when the 'opinion' is close to mine.

CNN at least still throw a fair amount of resources at actual news gathering while Fox does far less in that regard preferring to piggy back off other news sources (much like the GB News strategy being developed here).

If the running down of the BBC continues and Channel 4 goes completely commercial expect us to be travelling further down that road of more opinion / less news.

angelic upstart

Couldn't put it better myself SRE. Tell me what's happened and let me come to my own conclusion.

That said, I rarely watch tv news. Almost never read print media and use a select few websites to read what's happened. I do read the courts round up and the like on the abysmal Devon and Plymouth live websites. But try to avoid anything non crime related. Sad that it's come to this.

DB9

News has always had an uneasy alliance with advertisers and ratings.
Newspapers were always about selling an audience to advertisers as well as producing news.

The danger with continually attributing 'bad' stuff to 'the MSM' is that it becomes baby and bathwater stuff.
Journalism needs to be properly resourced to be effective and useful in a democracy.

With 24 hour news channels and the diminishing circulation wars of newspapers there is a steady descent into opinion versus hard news to grab audiences.
Social media, of course, has its own confirmation bias tramlines and clickbait tunnels.

A look at news in the USA shows you that there is further down the road to travel with Fox and CNN seemingly unable to present an item of hard news without a panel of opinion in order to frame it for their assumed audiences. It frustrates the hell out of me even when the 'opinion' is close to mine.

CNN at least still throw a fair amount of resources at actual news gathering while Fox does far less in that regard preferring to piggy back off other news sources (much like the GB News strategy being developed here).

If the running down of the BBC continues and Channel 4 goes completely commercial expect us to be travelling further down that road of more opinion / less news.
One of the problems is those that present the news want to be the news themselves, Piers Morgan is a great example, He always thought he was bigger than GMB, Well TBH mate, No one has touched you since you left and now you back in bed with Murdouch on TalkTV, Which will have just as small audience as other online/Digital news services, I know harping back but you could trust the news readers, They just did that, Read the new without any slant at all. We all know mainstream news is on the wane and people get a lot of their news online, I think people like ITV, BBC, C4 etc should explore this more or just fade away.