• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
What do you actually mean by liberal pro remain MSM? At worst, that's the BBC and channel four news and the guardian and mirror? Not exactly difficult to avoid.

As it happens, I don't think Brexit is a disaster. I think it's going alright so far. We have to wait and see what happens when it starts properly next year before I'll make any judgement. However, it's clear there are issues. The government openly admit this, but for some reason you can't seem to see it. To admit there's issues isn't bad as you can find a solution. It's dangerous to suggest everything is perfectly fine when it's not as it slows the solutions available. I'm glad the government admit to teething problems as it tells me they want to do something about it.
Probably this, My only gripe is that the lot in charge at the moment are not the right people to steer us through, I personally have no confidence in them and they will make more mistakes than good things, Maybe the "Next Generation" in charge will be a serious Government able to deal with things in a grown up way without sound bites and more substance, I can but hope.

Mr Jinx

An interesting piece in the Graun recently about how the Tories have reshaped the narrative. Rising inflation, queues, shortages, tax grabs....meh. Don't vote for us and you'll let in the Wokesters...

I guess it's good in a way the left are now finally getting it to some degree.

tavyred

An interesting piece in the Graun recently about how the Tories have reshaped the narrative. Rising inflation, queues, shortages, tax grabs....meh. Don't vote for us and you'll let in the Wokesters...

I guess it's good in a way the left are now finally getting it to some degree.
I just read that as the Left are frustrated that the things that occupy a lot of their political bandwidth (ie. issues around identity) are being held against them electorally by the public.
Labour should take solace in the fact that as soon as the public feel they are electable, they will be elected into power.
In that regard, I don’t think they do get it yet.

DB9

I just read that as the Left are frustrated that the things that occupy a lot of their political bandwidth (ie. issues around identity) are being held against them electorally by the public.
Labour should take solace in the fact that as soon as the public feel they are electable, they will be elected into power.
In that regard, I don’t think they do get it yet.
Because its not on the publics priority list, Talk about homes, jobs, education, health then people will listen, These in the left of the Labour Party should be able to realise that surely?

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Because its not on the publics priority list, Talk about homes, jobs, education, health then people will listen, These in the left of the Labour Party should be able to realise that surely?
You would think in theory all those areas listed would all be issues in which the Labour party should be strong on.

DB9

You would think in theory all those areas listed would all be issues in which the Labour party should be strong on.
You'd think so too but it's not being reflected on the doorstep and in fighting, arguing about subjects in focus groups that tbh the person on the street don't give a fig about, Much as people hate it they need to look at what Blair did to get Labour electable, Tweak it for the 21st Century and go for it.

Banksy

Labour seem to be unelectable , torn in half as they seemingly are by two competing factions. I mean if Rayner was leading the party would you vote for her? I honestly wouldn’t know who to vote for now, can’t stand Boris and his toadies and Labour seem to spend all their time arguing about irrelevancies. And after Blair‘s reign (couldn’t stand him then , can’t stand him now ) I never voted for them again .First past the post means I’m disenfranchised as far as I’m concerned since no other party apart from those two bunches of clowns will ever be able to form a government under this system.

DB9

Labour seem to be unelectable , torn in half as they seemingly are by two competing factions. I mean if Rayner was leading the party would you vote for her? I honestly wouldn’t know who to vote for now, can’t stand Boris and his toadies and Labour seem to spend all their time arguing about irrelevancies. And after Blair‘s reign (couldn’t stand him then , can’t stand him now ) I never voted for them again .First past the post means I’m disenfranchised as far as I’m concerned since no other party apart from those two bunches of clowns will ever be able to form a government under this system.
I'm never saying bring back Blair, his time has gone, what i'd like to see done within the Labour Party is see what he did to make Labour electable, Blair's labour Party has been totally deconstructed and what we have left is an awful party who seem to be happy in opposition, Where "Winning the argument" is more important than winning power, A Labour Party where if you had a Labour Party meeting in the South it bears no resemblance to a Labour Party meeting in the North, A Labour Party that patronises people into thinking they're "Oppressed" and only the "Smart Arses" in the Labour Party have the answers, While they're like this the Tories will run rings around them.

tonykellowfan

I haven't voted in the general election for the main parties for a long time as both parties are a massive turn off for me. Last time I voted for an independent candidate who got about 800 votes.

Unfortunately I tend to take the view that no sane person would go into politics and so we are left with a bunch of oddballs and chancers.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've always been in favour of the first past the post system as I felt it could give you decisive Government, however in recent years and what we are having to put up with now by way of alleged Government and opposition, both of whom I would not vote for, I have swayed the other way to enable the voter more choice of seeing that their vote actually counts for something.