• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
As has been said many times, this Tory government is like no other, I’m not surprised in the least that some traditional Tory voters are uncomfortable with its current manifestation. The party of Cameron and May would never have been as economically interventionist as this one.
You seemed to have missed the quite fundamental and I thought pretty obvious shift in the political landscape Hermie.
I've not missed it. Like you say it's pretty obvious. I just don't think it's relevant to the point at hand. It's why you voted for them, and would do again tomorrow, yes. What it doesn't justify to me is your complete refusal to acknowledge they could have any faults, or your completely blinkered view of their activities in the last 18 months.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've not missed it. Like you say it's pretty obvious. I just don't think it's relevant to the point at hand. It's why you voted for them, and would do again tomorrow, yes. What it doesn't justify to me is your complete refusal to acknowledge they could have any faults, or your completely blinkered view of their activities in the last 18 months.
What faults would you like me to criticise?

tavyred

As I said, tribalism. The evidence suggests they've changed tribes and it will take a brexit/Corbyn-esque event to change them back.
So I take it you see yourself as sitting outside this tribalism you speak of?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
So I take it you see yourself as sitting outside this tribalism you speak of?
Weirdly when it comes to politics, yes. I'm massively tribal in virtually everything else I do, but not in politics.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
No point going over it all. It's all been discussed on here and your views are clear.

IndoMike

This response is yet another classic example of Tavy's deflections and "playing for time". Over and over again, which is why imo it is simply a waste of time discussing politics with him : it always follows the same routine. Not even a troll is so determined to hit and run.

tavyred

No point going over it all. It's all been discussed on here and your views are clear.
If you mean I’ve defended the Government from the near wall to wall criticism its gets on here, I suppose you’re right.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you mean I’ve defended the Government from the near wall to wall criticism its gets on here, I suppose you’re right.
The fact you feel the need to do that, even when they don't deserve it, is kind of the point

tavyred

The fact you feel the need to do that, even when they don't deserve it, is kind of the point
Whether they deserve it can and almost always is subjective and largely depends on your own political standpoint, on these boards anyway.
If you’re accusing me of defending the Government when they don’t deserve it, I hope you’ve noticed as a non tribal contributor of course, those on here who wantonly criticise the government when perhaps they don’t deserve it also. Perhaps you haven’t noticed or maybe that sort of left leaning tribalism doesn’t bother you as much, in which case then perhaps your last few posts where you’ve tried rather haughtily IMO to paint a picture of yourself as someone who sits above the fray of tribalism might not be all it seems. A person like yourself does accept tribalism exists on both sides I take it?
Just a thought.
BTW, is this were you use your post of yesterday where you praised Sunak at the G7 as an example of your political evenhandedness? 🙄

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whether they deserve it can and almost always is subjective and largely depends on your own political standpoint, on these boards anyway.
If you’re accusing me of defending the Government when they don’t deserve it, I hope you’ve noticed as a non tribal contributor of course, those on here who wantonly criticise the government when perhaps they don’t deserve it also. Perhaps you haven’t noticed or maybe that sort of left leaning tribalism doesn’t bother you as much, in which case then perhaps your last few posts where you’ve tried rather haughtily IMO to paint a picture of yourself as someone who sits above the fray of tribalism might not be all it seems. A person like yourself does accept tribalism exists on both sides I take it?
Just a thought.
BTW, is this were you use your post of yesterday where you praised Sunak at the G7 as an example of your political evenhandedness? 🙄
I fully accept tribalism is on both sides, and I fully accept that some of the criticism of the government on here is unfair.