• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am aware of several actual examples of individuals who prefer to be on furlough with 86% of normal take home pay compared with all the hassle and costs of going to work.

I don't suppose you have clients who talk to you who run actual businesses in the U.K. but if you do please tell me their experiences.
Anecdotal evidence means nothing to me, Ali. I can respond to you by quoting anecdotes, too, but I won't. I have worked for and keep contact with many big companies here, including multi- nationals. It's not just you who does, Ali.

DB9

But if something is wrong you have to keep the issue alive
For example, if the ESL had not given in then the fans etc would have kept up the pressure until they had given in, no matter how long it takes
You can't just say "oh, well" and leave it at that. It's called conviction
I'm not saying it shouldn't be kept going but it will be off the front pages and people move on. The ESL was a bad, ill-conceived idea built on ignoring the competitiveness of the sport and was roundly rejected in the space of 48 hrs because everyone agreed, Where as this there is division along political lines and where things are divided it carrys on.

Alistair20000

What of the millions of self employed on UC?
SEISS help scheme of 80% of lost profits paid by HMRC available plus Council grants and rates grants. Roughly similar to furlough for employees.

Alistair20000

Anecdotal evidence means nothing to me, Ali. I can respond to you by quoting anecdotes, too, but I won't. I have worked for and keep contact with many big companies here, including multi- nationals. It's not just you who does, Ali.
Real case evidence means more to me than stuff trotted out in the Manchester Guardian Indo but please do carry on reading. I don't imagine the big companies operating in Indonesia are assiduous users of the UK furlough scheme.

Alistair20000

Did the self-employed ever qualifiy for UC during this crisis? Genuine question as i thought they have had the bum deal with this whole thing.
Please see my reply to AU. Lots of help for the self employed but some needy case slip through the complicated and often illogical qualifying rules.

IndoMike

I'm not saying it shouldn't be kept going but it will be off the front pages and people move on. The ESL was a bad, ill-conceived idea built on ignoring the competitiveness of the sport and was roundly rejected in the space of 48 hrs because everyone agreed, Where as this there is division along political lines and where things are divided it carrys on.
Sleaze is not a matter of political lines. It's morally wrong whatever your political leanings. I can't prove it to you, but if this was a Labour Govt or Liberal or whatever I would be equally annoyed
The only thing I agree with you is that yes, as I've been saying many times on my posts, nobody cares.

Mr Jinx

Support for Scottish Independence now at its lowest in some time (Leave currently polling at 47%).

As I've always said, when it boils down to it, the Jocks know which side their bread is buttered. Now that Brexit isn't turning into the Project Fear Armageddon, the sweaties are realising they'd be hard pushed to wean themselves off the teat that is Barnett.

IndoMike

Real case evidence means more to me than stuff trotted out in the Manchester Guardian Indo but please do carry on reading. I don't imagine the big companies operating in Indonesia are assiduous users of the UK furlough scheme.
You obviously chose to ignore my comment that I have actually worked for many large companies here, including large oil companies such as Total, major banks, et Al and still keep in contact with many of their employees. You think you're the only bloke in the world that has had such contact. And I actually was employed on a permanent basis by them, not just servicing them.
Most of their employees are on paid WFH, but if you want anecdotal evidence, despite the traffic jams et al many miss the office.
In the UK, people are furloughed by their employers : it's not their choice. You say they'd prefer to stay on furlough @ 80% than go back to work on 100% wages/salary. I want to see your data . If not, your anecdotal evidence is cancelled out by mine.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Support for Scottish Independence now at its lowest in some time (Leave currently polling at 47%).

As I've always said, when it boils down to it, the Jocks know which side their bread is buttered. Now that Brexit isn't turning into the Project Fear Armageddon, the sweaties are realising they'd be hard pushed to wean themselves off the teat that is Barnett.
That's why the rest of us should have our say on whether the feckers should be given the The Elbow. Remove Barnett and I might vote to let the miserable whingers stay; if they want to.

DB9

Sleaze is not a matter of political lines. It's morally wrong whatever your political leanings. I can't prove it to you, but if this was a Labour Govt or Liberal or whatever I would be equally annoyed
The only thing I agree with you is that yes, as I've been saying many times on my posts, nobody cares.
Unfortunately it does go along political lines, Politicians know their worth to businesses that's why they do it, It is morally wrong but if you stood as a candidate on an anti-sleaze line you wouldn't even get your deposit back and if one of the major parties did the same, They couldn't because there is enough evidence to show they all eat from the same trough, Its just the Tories are mostly in power and big business leaders in the main vote Tory.