• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Starmer officially reneges on his pledge made during the Labour Leadership contest to bring back freedom of movement. Just the sort of pragmatism I’m looking for in a PM, I’m not sure it’ll go down well with Labour’s sizeable rejoiner rump though.
Said it before, Tav, he's a clever man. Playing the long game, mindful of a nation's Brexit fatigue and just watching the chaos of Project Reality unfold. The scales are falling from the eyes of even the most ardent sovereignty and control freak, the 'will of the people' will only become stronger, and Labour should be in a position to capitalise. Just like the Democrats.

tavyred

Said it before, Tav, he's a clever man. Playing the long game, mindful of a nation's Brexit fatigue and just watching the chaos of Project Reality unfold. The scales are falling from the eyes of even the most ardent sovereignty and control freak, the 'will of the people' will only become stronger, and Labour should be in a position to capitalise. Just like the Democrats.
Elgy.
Accepting you honestly believe Brexit will be an all to obvious disaster, however what if it isn’t?
Labour can’t capitalise on a benign or a successful Brexit can it?
In an otherwise good interview with Marr, he was I thought his most uncomfortable on the subject of Brexit. I think he realises that the subject remains a divisive issue within his party and to go too far either way upsets one side of a two sided argument he knows he needs to get into Government.

IndoMike

I liked the general gist of your post, but having read more on the topic I have to
give Starmer a Minus One rating for his decision to accept no freedom of movement in the future . I'm disappointed.

Trapdoor

a benign or a successful Brexit
Well that's not happening is it. It's a complete cluster. UK passport holders unable to access their current accounts, goods perishing at borders, people being turned away on flights etc. etc. Describing this as a "fecking disaster" is akin to describing the capitol hill insurrection as "a scuffle".

Mr Jinx

Starmer officially reneges on his pledge made during the Labour Leadership contest to bring back freedom of movement. Just the sort of pragmatism I’m looking for in a PM, I’m not sure it’ll go down well with Labour’s sizeable rejoiner rump though.
He had little choice. Like voting for the Brexit Deal, it went against every grain in his body, but he swallowed his pride and agreed with it.

tavyred

Well that's not happening is it. It's a complete cluster. UK passport holders unable to access their current accounts, goods perishing at borders, people being turned away on flights etc. etc. Describing this as a "fecking disaster" is akin to describing the capitol hill insurrection as "a scuffle".
Hyperbole.
Early days yet, but it’s been fairly benign thus far. Gove is predicting significant issues as things get busier at the ports especially Dover/Calais. I don’t detect a “fecking disaster” as yet.

DB9

Hyperbole.
Early days yet, but it’s been fairly benign thus far. Gove is predicting significant issues as things get busier at the ports especially Dover/Calais. I don’t detect a “fecking disaster” as yet.
My gripe with the whole Brexit deal thing is it was down to virtully the last minute, Great that politicians do this, Looks good i suppose for the media etc. But they gave businesses all over no time to change things, They expected business to change the way they deal with the EU in about a week after dealing with them one way for nearly 50 years, Any "Disruption" will of course refect this, If it continues for months say then the Government have questions to answer but its still only been 10 days.

tavyred

DB.
It’s the nature of negotiations (especially with the EU apparently) that the closer you get to an unmovable deadline date thats when the real decisions get made. We are where we are, business will adapt like they always do.

DB9

DB.
It’s the nature of negotiations (especially with the EU apparently) that the closer you get to an unmovable deadline date thats when the real decisions get made. We are where we are, business will adapt like they always do.
Maybe so but to unravel nearly 50 years of doing things one way, You can't expect business to get it all right in just over a week.

lamrobhero

Re Dover/Calais I think at the moment the checks are happening outbound but not inbound. That is planned to change at the end of June. The Government is building lorry parks. Is this the technological solution that David Davis glibly referred to and that the Democratic Unionists on the NI Select Comitte vaunted?