Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
To pick up on few points there:

With Ed Milliband - I must've dreamt the Edstone.

Given what you know about me, me voting for Corbyn's Labour in 2017 probably says more about how I feel (felt) about Theresa May doesn't it?

I guess with hindsight it's all fairly evident now, but I knew at the time that the Tories had backed the wrong horse back in 2016 and was probably still a bit píssed that they'd overlooked a Brexiteer come the GE in 2017. I might not have voted Labour had UKIP or TBP been on my ballot paper. But they weren't.
Correct me if I am wrong Jinxy but I thought you had voted Labour in 2017 for the non Brexit parts of its manifesto.

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
Correct me if I am wrong Jinxy but I thought you had voted Labour in 2017 for the non Brexit parts of its manifesto.
Not sure if you remember at the time, but I was really torn. There was no UKIP on my ballot paper but they were a bit of a lame duck at the time anyway with their headline policy achieved (or so we thought). I didn't like the way they were heading either with Nuttall at the helm (ie morphing into the BNP), but I digress.

I was never a fan of Theresa May. She kind of said the right things about Brexit, but I sensed from the off that her heart wasn't entirely in it. Besides, once Corbyn parked a tank on her lawn by promising to honour the 2016 Referendum that kind of snuffed the whole thing out (I also knew Corbyn was a Brexiteer at heart).

I think what finally swayed it for me were the debates. May was a complete no show which I thought was in keeping with her timid hide-behind-the-back-of-a-sofa personna. I was disappointed that Corbyn was going to follow suit. But once he changed his mind, made an appearance and made a decentish fist of it, that was me sold.

I don't recall anything in the Labour party manifesto that particularly appealed other than promising to re-nationalise Water (I'd had a big run in with Thames Water the year before). I don't pay too much attention to manifestos I'll be honest. I just pick up on the odd thing or two that appeals.

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
And so, we're in our second week of full Brexit and I'm still waiting for the pound to collapse.

I'm currently looking to buy an expensive piece of musical equipment and the best price I could find is coming from Germany. Well, it suddenly got £50 cheaper overnight. I'll now be putting its procurement off by a month or two as I'm expecting it to come down by another hundred, at least.

Project Fear debunked yet again.

Alistair20000

And so, we're in our second week of full Brexit and I'm still waiting for the pound to collapse.

I'm currently looking to buy an expensive piece of musical equipment and the best price I could find is coming from Germany. Well, it suddenly got £50 cheaper overnight. I'll now be putting its procurement off by a month or two as I'm expecting it to come down by another hundred, at least.

Early days yet Jinxster.

arthur

Yes, Mr Jinx is Everyman. He is so typical of this country that whatever happens to him is indicative of what is happening to the country as a whole. His job prospects have improved and his musical equipment is cheaper. Ergo, all arguments against leaving the EU are invalid:cool:

elginCity

Appears Sterling is strengthening on the back of comments from BoE Guv re delay of negative interest rate due to the proposed speedy vaccination rollout.

If top 4 vulnerable groups are vaccinated by Feb 15th - as pledged - then credit should go to the government and PHE.

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
Early days yet Jinxster.
Maybe, but it's now over 4 years on since we were warned our house prices would all fall 17%.

The avg price was £210k at the time. It is now £256k. That's an increase of 21.5%. That's a difference of 38.5%. I believe the forecasts came from the BOE - experts eh!.

Alistair20000

Maybe, but it's now over 4 years on since we were warned our house prices would all fall 17%.

The avg price was £210k at the time. It is now £256k. That's an increase of 21.5%. That's a difference of 38.5%. I believe the forecasts came from the BOE - experts eh!.
I view certain classes of all expert with a degree of scepticism .

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, Mr Jinx is Everyman. He is so typical of this country that whatever happens to him is indicative of what is happening to the country as a whole. His job prospects have improved and his musical equipment is cheaper. Ergo, all arguments against leaving the EU are invalid:cool:
I'm guessing that 99% of people struggling out there at the moment are in that boat because of China (Covid), not the EU (Brexit).

That said, the latter hasn't done lorry drivers' sarnies any favours!

Dutch border officials confiscate ham sandwiches from UK lorry drivers: ‘Welcome to the Brexit’ | Evening Standard

Alistair20000