• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Tisdale's Website - His Time At ECFC

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good overview of the season after relegation there Bitts.

The site does frame his time as working alongside Steve Perryman and the 'pivotal' Julian Tagg but Simon Hayward is very much the forgotten man in this.

I'd add some caveats ...

We needed to sell Matt Grimes to bail us out and he was fast tracked into the shop window.
Tis's blurb mentions the 'development of talent from the academy into saleable assets' but there is no claim of strengthening the squad with academy players there.

I'd argue that the progress of Watkins was more measured and seems to be our current, desired approach - hence the discontent of the Club regarding the Ampadu and Stansfield moves.
I think that Matt has been playing a good hand in developing an academy/first team crossover and getting an 'adult football' education for the young players.

Wrongly overspending against budget could only happen if sanctioned by the Club, whose Financial director then admitted he had 'taken his eye off the ball'.
The PFA loan was arranged without transparency - which eventually led to a welcome shake up of oversight and governance.

Maybe 'the need for the club to become commercially viable' was consequential to both that season and being outgunned financially in League 1.
It's interesting that his site portrays this as Tis's focus rather than a Club focus.
It was Tis's statements regarding our 'natural 4th tier/5th tier level' without further investment that seemed to cause friction and was seen by many I spoke to at the time as a perceived dissing by him of the Trust model.

Last edited:
Why are people still obsessed with Tisdale? Move on

eurogrecian

I'd add some caveats ...
Cravats, surely?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Good overview of the season after relegation there Bitts.

The site does frame his time as working alongside Steve Perryman and the 'pivotal' Julian Tagg but Simon Hayward is very much the forgotten man in this.

I'd add some caveats ...

We needed to sell Matt Grimes to bail us out and he was fast tracked into the shop window.
Tis's blurb mentions the 'development of talent from the academy into saleable assets' but there is no claim of strengthening the squad with academy players there.

I'd argue that the progress of Watkins was more measured and seems to be our current, desired approach - hence the discontent of the Club regarding the Ampadu and Stansfield moves.
I think that Matt has been playing a good hand in developing an academy/first team crossover and getting an 'adult football' education for the young players.

Wrongly overspending against budget could only happen if sanctioned by the Club, whose Financial director then admitted he had 'taken his eye off the ball'.
The PFA loan was arranged without transparency - which eventually led to a welcome shake up of oversight and governance.

Maybe 'the need for the club to become commercially viable' was consequential to both that season and being outgunned financially in League 1.
It's interesting that his site portrays this as Tis's focus rather than a Club focus.
It was Tis's statements regarding our 'natural 4th tier/5th tier level' without further investment that seemed to cause friction and was seen by many I spoke to at the time as a perceived dissing by him of the Trust model.
I am firmly of the view that PT was (and is) first and foremost a businessman, as opposed to a football man.

Yes, he had early success here but that success was not continued in his later years as we all know.

This website of his shows quite clearly his business mind and tends to lean somewhat on his early success at Exeter City to promote himself.

The front page indicates his win ratio as 44%, but I would contest that it was ever as high as that and tended to hover around 36% across his time here. Whilst not up to date (I do not know the date this was published), it indicates his win rate at 37.5% - lower than both Alex Inglethorpe and Eammo.

ScreenHunter 524.png

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am firmly of the view that PT was (and is) first and foremost a businessman, as opposed to a football man.

Yes, he had early success here but that success was not continued in his later years as we all know.

This website of his shows quite clearly his business mind and tends to lean somewhat on his early success at Exeter City to promote himself.

The front page indicates his win ratio as 44%, but I would contest that it was ever as high as that and tended to hover around 36% across his time here. Whilst not up to date (I do not know the date this was published), it indicates his win rate at 37.5% - lower than both Alex Inglethorpe and Eammo.

View attachment 3786
It says his last 150 games, which will include the promotion season with MK and two playoff seasons at ECFC, v. selective use of stats. What's the significance of 150?

"He was entitled to try to present himself favourably..."

Antony Moxey

Why are people still obsessed with Tisdale? Move on
They're not, it's just a discussion some people find interesting. If you're not obsessed, given the thread title, why did you bother posting on it?

Pete Martin (CTID)

It says his last 150 games, which will include the promotion season with MK and two playoff seasons at ECFC, v. selective use of stats. What's the significance of 150?

"He was entitled to try to present himself favourably..."
Indeed. I missed the 10 minute edit rule on my post to add that Matt Taylor, after 87 games, had a win ratio of 43.7%. Maybe PT got confused? :unsure:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you're trying to sell yourself, you're going to gloss it up a bit.
MK Dons thought he was worth a punt :oops:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The 11 players with most appearances in that first season back in L2 were - Coles, Bennett, Woodman, Baldwin, Krysiak, Cureton, Oakley, O'Flynn, Amankwaah, Davies, Doherty. You have to go down to 15th on the list to find another academy player after Bennett - Liam Sercombe.
Love the summary.

Jeez, what a bunch of cloggers. Only Cureton in that group with any real guile. Woody probably the next most. Lots of 'hard workers' and you don't necessarily need a cultured centre back pairing in L2 but Coles and Baldwin, ye god. Even Sercs, who I know was marmite for many, scored higher on the grafting scale than the guile scale.

Antony Moxey

Not sure Oakley was ever a clogger.