• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Tisdale's Website - His Time At ECFC

tonykellowfan

The Tisdale argument will never be settled. For me he was a bit like Tony Blair, good at the start and then went downhill.

The time was right for a new manager, when we gave him notice we were bottom of the league and in danger of going back to the conference.

older-codger

The only thing that bugs me with him since he left is that he never acknowledges the fact that he was given an opportunity at City to build his career, from his initial appointment when everyone was asking about this "PE teacher" and was given every opportunity to build on that with no real pressure from the board. He would never have made anywhere near the 12 years that he likes to emphasise if he had been with most clubs. The club appointed an almost unknown and stuck by him and supported him, allowing him to build his career. Some recognition on his part of what he owes to ECFC would not go amiss

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
How do you know this?
I'm relaxed about this; most is accurate if presented in the most positive way. In any case you always express your CV in a way which shows you in the best light you can: big up your achievements while glossing over the failures. Naive to ask for anything different.

As regards numbers, it depends on which "budget" or "financial model" is being discussed, I suppose; there are several of both. If it's League 2 and P1 (players wages) I dunno about top 8 but we have been regularly about halfway up the list; Clubs are told their rank twice a season. "Almost all" is surely an exaggeration, though; I'd say we have consistently been nowhere near either the top or the bottom of L2 on any yardstick (budget, turnover, whatever). Except maybe cash ploughed in by owners?

When we were in L1 for 3 seasons 2009/10 to 2011/12 we were lower down the ranks, of course, as this was a period when several "big clubs" were in the doldrums and we were bracketed with teams like Leeds, both Sheffields, Southampton, Sunderland, etc., though even then there will have been others like Stockport and Hartlepool as tight for cash as us and who have plunged out of the EFL. Finishing 8th in 2010/11 was nonetheless a huge achievement and one he and everyone else involved can be proud of.

My verdict FWIW - overall clearly a success, though given more freedom and control than pretty much all his rivals. First 5 years especially very positive, but lost his way towards the end.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
... As regards numbers, it depends on which "budget" or "financial model" is being discussed, I suppose; there are several of both...
True enough.
I've gone for 'financial model' as that's what's quoted.
We want to develop on several fronts and to remain sustainable and debt free.
Our investment - other than developing players and the EFL shareouts - is from the Trust.

The two other main financial models we are/were up against:
Non football business investment to cover debts (Argyle, Mansfield, Salford, Forest Green etc) sometimes gifted but usually on the books as a loan.
Kicking the debt down the road (Macclesfield, Colchester, Luton, Bury etc)

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I just do.
Can you expand beyond that please?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can you expand beyond that please?
I don't need to.

Bittners a Legend

I agree that it is pretty much what you would expect from a self-publicist, self-publising on his own website.

The bit I would take biggest issue with is his portrayal of what happened after relegation.

In our first season back he gambled on getting promotion back to L1, spent money we didn't have or budget for, and it failed.

The 11 players with most appearances in that first season back in L2 were - Coles, Bennett, Woodman, Baldwin, Krysiak, Cureton, Oakley, O'Flynn, Amankwaah, Davies, Doherty. You have to go down to 15th on the list to find another academy player after Bennett - Liam Sercombe.

The credit, both practically and strategically, for the academy extends well beyond Tisdale and he used it only when he was forced to after the mess of 2012/13. I believe somewhere around this time there was a fallout between Tisdale and Simon Hayward over Tisdale's refusal to give academy players contracts. Matt Grimes bailed ours and Tisdale's arse out and showed him the value and potential of the academy.

He was a good manager who built well on the work of Dolan and Inglethorpe and gave us some incredible moments. There are also plenty of negative things that could be said about both his work and his attitude but he is no longer here, Matt Taylor is doing an excellent job and thankfully there are plenty of good times to look back on.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The 11 players with most appearances in that first season back in L2 were - Coles, Bennett, Woodman, Baldwin, Krysiak, Cureton, Oakley, O'Flynn, Amankwaah, Davies, Doherty. You have to go down to 15th on the list to find another academy player after Bennett - Liam Sercombe.

The credit, both practically and strategically, for the academy extends well beyond Tisdale and he used it only when he was forced to after the mess of 2012/13. I believe somewhere around this time there was a fallout between Tisdale and Simon Hayward over Tisdale's refusal to give academy players contracts. Matt Grimes bailed ours and Tisdale's arse out and showed him the value and potential of the academy.
This is bang on the money.

Antony Moxey

I don't need to.
I know you don’t, but I’m asking you if you would please? I genuinely have no idea how people know which clubs have what as their budgets, and thus what those budgets are. If you do know I think it would be nice if you made that information available to those of us who don’t.

Obviously I don’t expect you to betray any confidences, but when people make claims it’s always nice if they can back them up with evidence. And I’m not saying that to try and catch people out, more I’d like to know, for the purposes of the discussion in which the claim is made, what the claimant knows, especially if it relates to our club.

That’s all.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

This is Simon Hayward's page, look at the photo he uses and the players in it. Storey, Reid, Jay, J M T, Pym and Watkins.

Also he states:

"I am a highly qualified elite coach with thirteen years’ senior management experience who has created a nationally recognised and respected youth development programme."

Is he referring to ours ?