• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Owura Edwards in on loan from Bristol City

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
From a dead ball situation. No real pace.
Would you say all this about David Beckham? You very rarely saw him skin anybody. He worked himself half a yard/yard and got his cross in.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Funnily enough in the possible team I constructed in my head overnight for Saturday's game I had a starting 11 and 8 potential subs (plus 2 experienced players with the U23s in search of minutes)

Owura ended up as 19th choice ie neither in the side nor on the bench. So I think its a good move that he has been recalled by Bristol City.

He had slipped down the pecking order with attackers Brown Jay Podge Coley and now OZ all ahead of him, with Nombe due back in '2-4 weeks' (note - has MT realised that saying '3 weeks' before he is fit has become the stuff of satire, so says '2-4' weeks instead?)

And for a winger we ought to be developing/using Coley ahead of Edwards and on the left have Sparkes (and potentially Iseguan for the occasional sub experience). So I wouldn't look for a like for like replacement
I think we originally signed Edwards when Coley and Sparkes were out injured so probably not a surprise that now they are back fit he is surplus to requirements.

ExmouthMart

Would you say all this about David Beckham? You very rarely saw him skin anybody. He worked himself half a yard/yard and got his cross in.
Remember seeing him play against us on loan for I think Preston?! Even then no pace. He’s best remembered for that goal against Greece ( okay maybe a few other things!). If he looked like Bowman would he have had such a cult following?!…..

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
But does Sparkes have real pace to take him past players?! I don’t think he does.Didn’t Taylor say it was an important season for him and Seymour to establish themselves? Joel Randall had it and so does Key, hence why they moved on or are moving on to potentially bigger and better things.
Yes, he did say it was a make or break season for Sparkes but then he was arguably our best player in pre-season, started the season as a first-choice player until he broke his collar bone and then was rewarded with a new contract.

grecIAN Harris

Remember seeing him play against us on loan for I think Preston?! Even then no pace. He’s best remembered for that goal against Greece ( okay maybe a few other things!). If he looked like Bowman would he have had such a cult following?!…..
For a man with no pace he created an awful lot of goals never mind chances in general. You see where I'm going with this........................... Sparkes doesn't need to have blistering pace and an ability to go past players so long as he is clever enough to work himself a yard to make him effective.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at how Rowe was allowed to go to Chippenham and his lack of 1st team action thus far I suspect Taylor doesn't see Callum making an impact this season
I'd have agreed with you until about 20 minutes but the fact Callum has been made captain of the under-23's this afternoon suggests he may not be completely out of the manager's thoughts.

ExmouthMart

For a man with no pace he created an awful lot of goals never mind chances in general. You see where I'm going with this........................... Sparkes doesn't need to have blistering pace and an ability to go past players so long as he is clever enough to work himself a yard to make him effective.
I know what your saying but do you think that’s really going to happen soon?! He playing in a position where he needs to make himself stand out and really contribute to the team. Taylor said that’s his position where he needs to make an impact consistently. We now seemingly have plenty of forward options so need players to consistently deliver the ball to them to score the goals that we currently lack. If we are going to push on again this season we need the players to deliver now for the necessary results.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I actually think Beckham was under rated because of his celebrity status - fantastic footballer, world class.

older-codger

There is a 19 year old wide midfielder playing for Newry City in the Northern Ireland Championship who has impressed and is regularly identified as the star player in match reports. He has pace and an eye for goal, able to beat a player and provide a good cross. Would not be surprised to see him taken on by an English club and with the full time coaching becoming a very good player. Watch out for James Teelan!

grecIAN Harris

I know what your saying but do you think that’s really going to happen soon?! He playing in a position where he needs to make himself stand out and really contribute to the team. Taylor said that’s his position where he needs to make an impact consistently. We now seemingly have plenty of forward options so need players to consistently deliver the ball to them to score the goals that we currently lack. If we are going to push on again this season we need the players to deliver now for the necessary results.
That will be down to Sparkes to make the most of his opportunity when it comes. Much as Jake Caprice is playing well down the left, he clearly has little in terms of ability in his left foot. I'm sure Matt Taylor would sooner have a left footed wing back playing at left wing back as the attacking part of that role is primarily about delivery of a supply line to the frontline rather than, as in an attacking forward, cutting in and driving at goal to get a shot offf.