• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Go bac and check.. the deal att was 1.8 plus up to a max of 4 mil. The guardian and other media are all saying the add on's ARE BELIEVED to be.... Well they ain't it's what I said.. at the time of the deal your club had a poster monitoring ex web/ fans reaction .and the deal was as I said 1.8m plus ??? To a max of 4 mil... We get 2.2 mil ... FULL STOP.
Why would any selling club agree to a maximum sell-on clause? It would be completely counterintuitive to say the more profit you go on to make from the player we're about to sell to you the less of it we want.

I don't pretend to know what the situation is but would be astonished if we'd signed up to such a deal.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's extremely unlikely that add-ons were capped. I think this lad is just WUMing.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would any selling club agree to a maximum sell-on clause? It would be completely counterintuitive to say the more profit you go on to make from the player we're about to sell to you the less of it we want.

I don't pretend to know what the situation is but would be astonished if we'd signed up to such a deal.
Yeah.... said it was a **** poor dead att.. but as per I was wrong and EVERYBODY on here thought it was a decent deal...

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why are people arguing on here about the amount of any possible money coming to us? Does it matter if it's £4m+ or £6m+ it's money a couple of months ago we could only dream of and given what's happening around lower league football we should be grateful this deal seems to be coming together. No one can really say when Ollie left us they knew he'd be on the verge of transferring to a PL club for a record amount for the buying club. If the deal goes through we should just thank whoever that when it was looking tough for us this happens and secures the club for a long while.

andrew p long

In response to Bondy, the *add ons* may well be capped at 4m. They would include eg the 500k we would apparently have got if Brentford had got the Premier League by winning the play off final.

The *sell on* (profit % , whether 15% or 20%) is different and I am pretty sure would not be capped ( as per Egg’s logic)

andrew p long

Also in response to Bondy, I think you are very much entitled to point out what you said at the time, namely that you thought Ollie was then in 2017 worth (IIRC) £7m, even though he had only ever played in League Two.

This transfer , if it goes through, will mean that Brentford will have paid us a total of around £6m (1.8 in 2017 plus around 4m in the sell on profit %).

muppetdodger

Also in response to Bondy, I think you are very much entitled to point out what you said at the time, namely that you thought Ollie was then in 2017 worth (IIRC) £7m, even though he had only ever played in League Two.

This transfer , if it goes through, will mean that Brentford will have paid us a total of around £6m (1.8 in 2017 plus around 4m in the sell on profit %).
Plus we get 1m solidarity payment direct from Villa.

JJ red&white

The original deal... as posted on here by a Brentford pr guy Forget the %'s .. it was the orig transfer fee plus ???? Topping out at a max 4 mil... So if we got 1.8 which I believe WAS the figure .. were due 2.2 mil... Said it then and I STILL think it.. for us it was a **** poor deal
Whilst there may have been a cap on performance related add ons, why would there be a cap on sell on %?! That defeats the object of a sell on clause!

IndoMike

Why are people arguing on here about the amount of any possible money coming to us? Does it matter if it's £4m+ or £6m+ it's money a couple of months ago we could only dream of and given what's happening around lower league football we should be grateful this deal seems to be coming together. No one can really say when Ollie left us they knew he'd be on the verge of transferring to a PL club for a record amount for the buying club. If the deal goes through we should just thank whoever that when it was looking tough for us this happens and secures the club for a long while.
So little 'ol Exeter should be grateful for whatever we get and whether we get a total of 4m or 6m it doesn't matter?
So we're happy if the difference goes to Brentford rather than City? 2m to City doesn't matter? That's very small town mentality.

After having been with City so many years and at Brentford just for 2-3 years, City's work with Ollie was crucial in making him the player he is today - a player worth 28-33 million pounds. Of course we should want and should get as much as possible.
We don't need to feel grateful : we need to be proud

STURTZ

Well I certainly am not going to sink to my knees praising the lord and undergo forelock tugging to our monied superiors in the higher leagues? Is it a crime to want as much money for our club as possible? We've been fortunate in our chosen modus operandi of developing kids but must realise that these things wont happen every day and an extra million here would mean another year without financial melt down.