• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well I certainly am not going to sink to my knees praising the lord and undergo forelock tugging to our monied superiors in the higher leagues? Is it a crime to want as much money for our club as possible? We've been fortunate in our chosen modus operandi of developing kids but must realise that these things wont happen every day and an extra million here would mean another year without financial melt down.
I didn't mean that, what i was saying is we should be "Grateful" he has surpassed our expectations and that a club is willing to pay this huge amount, Nothing to do with forelock tugging etc, Grateful might have not been the best word to use. It could have gone the other way, He might have got to Brentford and not shone through, It does happen. We have an Academy that is the envy of a lot of clubs but in all Academies it is only a tiny % of those lads who make it to a first team and an even more tiny % that make it big like Ollie is going to. As for the money involved in the sell on clause, No one on here knows the score with that, Plenty of what if's but in reality only a small number of people know what % the sell on is so again wether its £4m+ or £6m+ I'm just happy it looks like its coming at a time when we really need it, I'd imagine there are many clubs looking on at us with envy with that amount going into our bank.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I saw Taggy licking his lips outside Greggs this morning.

Ash

I saw Taggy licking his lips outside Greggs this morning.
You sure that wasn't Pierce Sweeney?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
You sure that wasn't Pierce Sweeney?
Sweenz was inside.

IndoMike

I didn't mean that, what i was saying is we should be "Grateful" he has surpassed our expectations and that a club is willing to pay this huge amount, Nothing to do with forelock tugging etc, Grateful might have not been the best word to use. It could have gone the other way, He might have got to Brentford and not shone through, It does happen. We have an Academy that is the envy of a lot of clubs but in all Academies it is only a tiny % of those lads who make it to a first team and an even more tiny % that make it big like Ollie is going to. As for the money involved in the sell on clause, No one on here knows the score with that, Plenty of what if's but in reality only a small number of people know what % the sell on is so again wether its £4m+ or £6m+ I'm just happy it looks like its coming at a time when we really need it, I'd imagine there are many clubs looking on at us with envy with that amount going into our bank.
Certainly didn"t come across that way
What about "if it's 4m or 6m it doesn't matter" ? I.e we should be grateful whatever we get

malcolms

Well I certainly am not going to sink to my knees praising the lord and undergo forelock tugging to our monied superiors in the higher leagues? Is it a crime to want as much money for our club as possible? We've been fortunate in our chosen modus operandi of developing kids but must realise that these things wont happen every day and an extra million here would mean another year without financial melt down.
The "modus operandi" has certainly been successful, but not quite as successful as the Brentford "modus operandi" which has seen them take players from lower leagues for around 7 million and return a profit of 95 million...All without an academy setup.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The "modus operandi" has certainly been successful, but not quite as successful as the Brentford "modus operandi" which has seen them take players from lower leagues for around 7 million and return a profit of 95 million...All without an academy setup.
Peterborough do something a little similar.

One thing I'd like us to do much more of is find good quality non league talent, we very very rarely ever do it.

DB9

Their scouting system must work well then, If you say they don't have an Academy set up, To take a punt on players from the lower leagues hoping or knowing they'd be able to make the step up and make that sort of profit, Their scouts know their job.

IndoMike

Yeah, and Brentford's has not been so successful as Southampton's. Meanwhile Southanpton's has not been so good as Barcelona's.

malcolms

Yeah, and Brentford's has not been so successful as Southampton's. Meanwhile Southanpton's has not been so good as Barcelona's.
Different models Mike...Like us Brentford are an everyday Ford...Southampton are a Jaguar and Barcelona are a Lamborghini....