• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did he even touch the ball?

Will the injury to Trent Alexander Arnold earn Ollie a call up?
More likely to be Ward-Prowse I'd have thought, England are light in right midfield as it is..

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
More likely to be Ward-Prowse I'd have thought, England are light in right midfield as it is..
So you're saying England need someone to do this from the right midfield position?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
You really are a misery aren't you Indo? I'm surprised you can get out of bed in the morning.

I personally enjoyed the world cup run, the team definitely exceeded expectations.

We have a good mix of older and younger players, I think probably the quarters/semis is far as we are likely to go as we are vulnerable at CB which is a weakness for us.
No, not a miserabilist : just a realist. Yes, we have good players, but when England play there is no rhyme or reason to the team. We have a history of choosing mediocre managers who cannot get the players to gel and out history is full of disappointments. We have won the World Cup once and the Nation's Cup/Euros never. In most competitions I can't imagine us beating France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Portugal, Croatia, Holland or Italy. Even to beat Iceland is a challenge. We ALWAYS fail when we have to play a decent team. We need a top manager who really knows his stuff to win a big competition and one who understands the British footballer. Southgate is a bog standard manager and not smart enough tactically to get the better of those good teams. He's the classic "nice guy' English manager that the FA like to pick. But they wouldn't pick a Brian Clough type - probably the best manager England has produced after Alf Ramsay
Of course I want England to win : I'm just preparing myself for the biannual disappointment.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did he even touch the ball?

Will the injury to Trent Alexander Arnold earn Ollie a call up?
We were obviously not watching the same game during the short time he was on this evening he brought something different to the team.

Chasing everything coming back and defending but showing when he had the ball that there was only one thing on his mind and that was to run forward and put pressure on the Austrian defence.

Southgate has slipped up here in my view in partnership with Grealish together they could have proved to be a match winning duo.

tonykellowfan

No, not a miserabilist : just a realist. Yes, we have good players, but when England play there is no rhyme or reason to the team. We have a history of choosing mediocre managers who cannot get the players to gel and out history is full of disappointments. We have won the World Cup once and the Nation's Cup/Euros never. In most competitions I can't imagine us beating France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Portugal, Croatia, Holland or Italy. Even to beat Iceland is a challenge. We ALWAYS fail when we have to play a decent team. We need a top manager who really knows his stuff to win a big competition and one who understands the British footballer. Southgate is a bog standard manager and not smart enough tactically to get the better of those good teams. He's the classic "nice guy' English manager that the FA like to pick. But they wouldn't pick a Brian Clough type - probably the best manager England has produced after Alf Ramsay
Of course I want England to win : I'm just preparing myself for the biannual disappointment.
I think we are probably a top 8/ top 4 side in Europe so yes of course there are better teams than us. We had 7 England players in the champions league final so there is definitely quality in our players. Southgate did a decent job in the WC so he deserves a chance in the Euros.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So how much have we made so for on Watkins England caps and Villa staying up…£200k ish??

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
We were obviously not watching the same game during the short time he was on this evening he brought something different to the team.

Chasing everything coming back and defending but showing when he had the ball that there was only one thing on his mind and that was to run forward and put pressure on the Austrian defence.

Southgate has slipped up here in my view in partnership with Grealish together they could have proved to be a match winning duo.
I was only half interested in it so wasn't watching that closely.

andrew p long

So how much have we made so for on Watkins England caps and Villa staying up…£200k ish??
I think its (City receipts in brackets)

£1m (150k) for Villa staying up

500k (75k) for sub in competitive game, San Marino

250k (37.5k) for sub in friendly last night

262.5k?

andrew p long

Agreed. two big moments. An early link up with Grealish that set Grealish free in the penalty area near the by-line. If Grealish and DCL had been on the same wave length then Calvert-Lewin would have had a six yard box tap in.

At the end Ollie travelling 60 yards with the ball from ten yards outside England' s penalty area to ten yards outside the opposition penalty box. Just what was needed to relieve pressure on what was by then a ten man England

(though I did think Ollie didn't quite understand the system (wide left in a midfield four?) and could have done more defensively to prevent crosses coming in to England's box)

Number13

I think its (City receipts in brackets)

£1m (150k) for Villa staying up

500k (75k) for sub in competitive game, San Marino

250k (37.5k) for sub in friendly last night

262.5k?
Is there a limit to when we stop getting money for his England appearances? Vaguely recall its when Brentford get £5m from them (so we get 15% of that in total?)