• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see one of the Villa team is called Marvellous Nakamba.
His a Zimbo international I believe.

STURTZ

Also had another one ruled out for a very marginal offside – think that's three goals he's lost to VAR this season.
You could say that, or you could just say that's three goals ruled out because he's been offside. Actually the goal he did get was slightly dubious.

Pobbop

You could say that, or you could just say that's three goals ruled out because he's been offside. Actually the goal he did get was slightly dubious.
Yeah, only one of those was a V?R line across the pitch special, and who knows without VAR some of his others may have been ruled out. in the end he plays on the last defender, and it'll happen, and a couple of those runs were mistimed.

Still an impressive first Prem season, can see why other clubs are looking at him, on the pressing from the front and work-rate, he's an ideal modern player.

elginCity

.....who knows without VAR some of his others may have been ruled out. in the end he plays on the last defender, and it'll happen, and a couple of those runs were mistimed......
Yes, strikers trying to play off the shoulder can prove frustrating to watch with recurring offsides, as Alfie May demonstrated last night. No doubt Ollie and coaches will be working on that side of his game.

andrew p long

Yeah, only one of those was a V?R line across the pitch special, and who knows without VAR some of his others may have been ruled out. in the end he plays on the last defender, and it'll happen, and a couple of those runs were mistimed.

Still an impressive first Prem season, can see why other clubs are looking at him, on the pressing from the front and work-rate, he's an ideal modern player.
My recollection is that the two previous ones were both VAR specials where he was judged offside because part of his shirtsleeve (or other half inch) was said by doubtful line technology to be fractionally offside (there was brilliant tweet from on eVilla fan showing three Villa goals disallowed for being classified 'offside' when the forward was and defender were basically in line; and then a picture of the Man City forward who came back from 12 yards beyond the last defender but judged to be 'not offside' when he tackled the defender.

Last night was different. The Lino flagged it off and Ollie said he knew it was offside. The real error however was IIRC not his, but the timing of the pass , which was delayed

Pobbop

My recollection is that the two previous ones were both VAR specials where he was judged offside because part of his shirtsleeve (or other half inch) was said by doubtful line technology to be fractionally offside (there was brilliant tweet from on eVilla fan showing three Villa goals disallowed for being classified 'offside' when the forward was and defender were basically in line; and then a picture of the Man City forward who came back from 12 yards beyond the last defender but judged to be 'not offside' when he tackled the defender.

Last night was different. The Lino flagged it off and Ollie said he knew it was offside. The real error however was IIRC not his, but the timing of the pass , which was delayed
Perhaps, and I'm not criticising him particularly, just the way he plays. Yet linos don't put their flag up now, unless it's obvious because of VAR, and those may have been flagged anyway, as may his goal last night.

People want to emphasize the negative part of VAR, and I understand that, but flag happy linos are not a new thing. It is less controversial to give flag a tight one, rather than be proven wrong with no way of the decision being changed. People keep going on about the goals ruled out, but quite possibly just as many that weren't maybe even more.

That City goal was within the rules, the rules maybe crap, but as soon as Mings had that ball under control, the second phase had started so the offside was irrelevant, nothing to do with VAR, the officials got it right.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
That City goal was within the rules, the rules maybe crap, but as soon as Mings had that ball under control, the second phase had started so the offside was irrelevant, nothing to do with VAR, the officials got it right.
Indeed. I like Dean Smith but it never ceases to amaze me that managers don't know and understand the Laws of the Game. It's such a basic requirement, they should have them memorised. And the players should have regular seminars on rule changes, interpretation, implications and ways to exploit them / avoid being caught by them.

Basic professionalism. CPD.

Rosencrantz

I thought Ollie was behind or at worse level with the ball when it was played across, something MOTD didn't seem to realise when they drew their line across the pitch guided by the last defender and showed the ball about a yard in advance 🤦.

The daft rule about a defender playing the ball deliberately makes it a moot point anyway as has been stated.

IndoMike

IINM at one time in the old days the refs were instructed to give the benefit of the doubt to the striker in offside cases
Now the officials or the VAR seem to be desperately looking for reasons to disallow a chance or goal. It's such a pity to see a good goal cancelled out and must be really frustrating for the scorer

Pobbop

IINM at one time in the old days the refs were instructed to give the benefit of the doubt to the striker in offside cases
Now the officials or the VAR seem to be desperately looking for reasons to disallow a chance or goal. It's such a pity to see a good goal cancelled out and must be really frustrating for the scorer
When did that ever happen though in reality, again a good case that Var has probably let more goals go, then the ones they've ruled out, the stats back that up too, rather than feelings.