• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Suspect there's a bit of brinkmanship going on. I'm with Brentford here, if Villa can't afford him then vuck 'em!

Banksy

Suspect there's a bit of brinkmanship going on. I'm with Brentford here, if Villa can't afford him then vuck 'em!
If they aren’t prepared to pay for a decent striker they may find themselves playing Brentford next season. Or Brentford could leapfrog them , that would be a laugh.

IndoMike

I suspect that the majority of any Ollie windfall will be spent on infrastructure and on projects that will enhance revenue / reduce costs. Matt Taylor may get some extra funds, but I don't expect he will receive the sort of money that he has done previously.
Not the time for taking risks
Better to get a couple of good loan players in, so no long-term commitment.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A good negotiator when selling always asks for as high a price as possible pitching it so as the buyer remains interested and encouraged to make an offer. Similarly the buyer’s offer will be pitched so it encourages the seller to remain at the table...all a fascinating game.

Brentford need to be careful by asking too high they do not put potential buyers off. They will obviously accept £25M but personally I think they are pitching their asking price too high and should have set it at £26M with a view to accepting around £24M......but only time will tell.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. Depending on what happens with the salary cap, it might not even be possible to give Matt the money anyway.
True, but my back of an envelope maths suggests we aren’t close to the salary cap at the moment. We only have 18 players 21 or over who, I think, count towards the salary cap and that includes Ben Seymour and Alex Hartridge, who presumably aren’t earning much yet. And even if the likes of Nicky Law and Nicky Ajose are on a decent salary my understanding (and I could have got this completely wrong) is that because they were signed before the cap was introduced they are only included at the divisional average.

Banksy

A good negotiator when selling always asks for as high a price as possible pitching it so as the buyer remains interested and encouraged to make an offer. Similarly the buyer’s offer will be pitched so it encourages the seller to remain at the table...all a fascinating game.

Brentford need to be careful by asking too high they do not put potential buyers off. They will obviously accept £25M but personally I think they are pitching their asking price too high and should have set it at £26M with a view to accepting around £24M......but only time will tell.
You’re probably dead right SB , but the laugh is , what’s a couple of million to theses characters playing monopoly with their money.

Red Devon

I suspect that the majority of any Ollie windfall will be spent on infrastructure and on projects that will enhance revenue / reduce costs. Matt Taylor may get some extra funds, but I don't expect he will receive the sort of money that he has done previously.
You were telling us all through lockdown that the manager wouldn’t be able to bring in any new players this year he’s already brought in three and we still haven’t received a windfall.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
You were telling us all through lockdown that the manager wouldn’t be able to bring in any new players this year he’s already brought in three and we still haven’t received a windfall.
Technically we received a windfall for Chrisene.

Red Devon

Technically we received a windfall for Chrisene.
After we’d signed Caprice and McArdle though.

AB Ciren

According to the BBC football gossip page Villa have made a breakthrough in getting Ollie, mind it is the beeb