• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oldham v Exeter discussion thread

robchave

We're now into sh*t or bust time. No point in anything other than going for it, from the off. An attacking formation and shoot on sight please!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're now into sh*t or bust time. No point in anything other than going for it, from the off. An attacking formation and shoot on sight please!
Not sure I want Bowman shooting on sight !

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Despite not playing much recently Sweeney looks knackered.

💬 Pierce Sweeney pre Oldham Athletic (A) | Exeter City Football Club - YouTube

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
With Joel injured, will we revert to 4,3,1,2 with Seymour up front with Bowman and MJ in behind

Iceman
Key McArdle Hartridge Page
Collins Taylor Willmott
Jay
Bowman Seymour

or 3-5-2 with Sparkes stepping in for Joel and Sweenz giving Page a rest

Iceman
Sweeney McArdle Hartridge
Key Willmott Collins Taylor Sparkes
Jay Bowman

Anyway as difficult to pick a side predicting the bench is even harder with current injuries, have a feeling we may see Williams on the bench and perhaps Stubbs

Hoping for a win against the worse home record in the division, therefore expecting a draw, if the Gods are with us 5-1, Bowman Jay x 2 Taylor and Willmott

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
or just pick the same 11 as it was after Randall was replaced by Sparkes?

grecIAN Harris

It will be interesting how he shapes the side now Randall is out for the rest of the season. I know there are many who don't like it but I'd go back to 3-5-2 with the personnel we have available. Drop Page and bring Sweeney in as the third centre back on the right of the three with Hartridge on the left. Key and Sparkes at wing back, drop Jay into the attacking point of the midfield three and put Seymour up with Bowman and see what Seymour can do when the big man takes the donkey work off of him and give him the instructions of simply work off of Bowman for his knock downs and get your arse in the box beyond that. When we haven't got the ball, Bowman and Seymour press their defence and then if they're confident/daft enough to try and play into the middle the midfield squeeze in behind. I'd also be tempted to rest either one of Collins or Taylor and bring Big Nige in. Both of them need a rest and I think Nige will be better when he can grow into the game from the start rather than trying to pick up the pace of the game from the bench.

grecIAN Harris

The same side that has lost the last two games. It's becoming a nasty habit that we can ill afford at this stage of the season. It needs freshening up a bit.

denzel

The same 11 that created very little for 60 minutes?

IndoMike

It will be interesting how he shapes the side now Randall is out for the rest of the season. I know there are many who don't like it but I'd go back to 3-5-2 with the personnel we have available. Drop Page and bring Sweeney in as the third centre back on the right of the three with Hartridge on the left. Key and Sparkes at wing back, drop Jay into the attacking point of the midfield three and put Seymour up with Bowman and see what Seymour can do when the big man takes the donkey work off of him and give him the instructions of simply work off of Bowman for his knock downs and get your arse in the box beyond that. When we haven't got the ball, Bowman and Seymour press their defence and then if they're confident/daft enough to try and play into the middle the midfield squeeze in behind. I'd also be tempted to rest either one of Collins or Taylor and bring Big Nige in. Both of them need a rest and I think Nige will be better when he can grow into the game from the start rather than trying to pick up the pace of the game from the bench.
Seymour partnering Bowman. No
Jay partnering Bowman : Yes.
4-4-2 not 3-5-2. We don't need three centre backs against a team as cr+p as Oldham:

The Icelander
---------------
Key
McA or Sweeney
Hartridge or Parkes
Page
----------------
Willmott/Caprice
Taylor
Collins
Sparkes
-----------------
Jay
Bowman
----------------:
Don"t wanna hear stories about players being tired.
We need a boost : we need the win

grecIAN Harris

Seymour partnering Bowman. No
Jay partnering Bowman : Yes.
4-4-2 not 3-5-2. We don't need three centre backs against a team as cr+p as Oldham:

The Icelander
---------------
Key
McA or Sweeney
Hartridge or Parkes
Page
----------------
Willmott/Caprice
Taylor
Collins
Sparkes
-----------------
Jay
Bowman
----------------:
Don"t wanna hear stories about players being tired.
We need a boost : we need the win
You need to open your eyes up a bit. It's not about playing three centre backs, it's about getting more men in midfield. Getting Matt Jay that little bit of space in between the lines where he can be devastating either in creation or finishing. Compressing their side in the way we do when we're at our best, no time, no space. You might not want to hear stories of certain players being tired but Taylor and Collins have been playing twice a week with break and it's showing, especially in Collins.