• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

OFF: ECFC V Barnsley : MDT 24th January 7.45pm

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster

STURTZ

Oh just get over it, Barnsley
Not like we've ever had to travel long distances to find a match postponed, how many times did we go to Barrow last season?
If Barnsley had our seasons travelling costs I'd feel sorry for them as it is, tough titty losers, thank God you escaped another pasting!

Alistair20000

I remember in the old days that we had a local referee make an early pitch inspection to avoid people travelling unnecessarily. Why doesn't ot happen now?
You are Uncle Albert and I claim my £5

:)

1674679963075.jpeg

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are Uncle Albert and I claim my £5

:)

View attachment 10836
RIP Uncle Albie

ChrisWickens

Can't blame them!!

iscalad

Can't blame them!!
Barrow complaining.....

andrew p long

A Barnsley view 'ridiculous time to postpone'. At about 2minutes or so in, he says he doesn't blame either club but does blame the EFL and referee.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Will be watching on iFollow, hoping for a similar performance to that at their place. Friendly bunch of supporters so I hope they get looked after on their visit to Exeter.

Jason's preview

Changing my mind on this. Some of the vitriol heading our way is pathetic.

Rosencrantz

The thing is, in their statement Barnsley made mention that they went to the expense of travelling down on Monday and staying overnight. If they wanted to avoid that, we would have had to call the game off early Monday morning which would have been ridiculous. It sounds like Chas and the ground staff thought the chances of the pitch being playable were suitably high with the met office forecast and sun being out. It seems around 90% of it was in the referee's opinion. Communication could have been better although it would presumably been along the lines of holding information in those circumstances as they thought it would be ok.

No one likes travelling for nothing, especially long distances and there is cost involved. But you have to be careful it doesn't go to much the other way. If you saying that the match should be called off before anyone starts travelling if there is any doubt, a lot of games will be called off that could have gone ahead. So what percentage chance of a pitch being playable do you trigger a postponement at? 50%? 75%? 90%? You will always have situations where the postponement will be later than ideal.