• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

OFF: ECFC V Barnsley : MDT 24th January 7.45pm

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd rather a match be given every chance to take place, than be needlessly cancelled. And I think that's what we tried to do, but could have been explained a bit more clearly.

From the perspective of someone who usually travels to away games by public transport, my travel costs are already "sunk". So postponing a match when it could have gone ahead penalises me and others like me. There's an element of damned if you do, or damned if you don't, in all of this.
This is the situation in a nutshell. As Ant said long distance travellers were already on the way and we are not talking about a late postponement when the snow has been falling since early morning. There should be an expectation of trying to get a game played at all times. A postponement isn't what either club or set of fans wants. It causes potential fixture congestion, hassle for fans and will have lead to Exeter losing several thousand pounds in wasted food in hospitality as well as from the catering kiosks. To cancel is always a last resort. However, why the club didn't clarify that a pitch inspection was going to take place and that the ref's decision would decide matters I don't know.

Boyo

The Barnsley team would likely have been in Exeter (or near by) by early afternoon. They would have very much wanted the game to be on, and would have wanted to give the pitch every opportunity to pass an inspection.

milts

Personally I think after the morning update, an update at about 14.00 to say something along the lines of...

"The pitch is improving and the ground staff are working hard to ensure tonight's game goes ahead. A pitch inspection is due at around 16.00 and a decision will be made by the match official and confirmation will be brought to you soon after".

I know what Ant is saying, an announcement to say they still don't know whether it will go ahead doesn't really change the outcome but at least people feel like they're being informed as well as they can be especially after the promise of updates.
Absolutely.

My memory might not be correct but I seem to remember many years ago a New Year's Day 3.00pm fixture against Barnet was called off very late in the day. I'd even left my house in Exeter for the match and didn't find out until I got to the ground. I seem to think at the time this match wouldn't be played just looking at my lawn that was frozen solid. Again, memory permitting, I think the pitch was covered and the state of the surface wasn't known until this was removed.
On a brighter note we did have a very good afternoon at The Bowling Green.

Memphis09

This is the situation in a nutshell. As Ant said long distance travellers were already on the way and we are not talking about a late postponement when the snow has been falling since early morning. There should be an expectation of trying to get a game played at all times. A postponement isn't what either club or set of fans wants. It causes potential fixture congestion, hassle for fans and will have lead to Exeter losing several thousand pounds in wasted food in hospitality as well as from the catering kiosks. To cancel is always a last resort. However, why the club didn't clarify that a pitch inspection was going to take place and that the ref's decision would decide matters I don't know.
Agree
But if there was a small section of the ground frozen surly we knew about it earlier in the day
So either we should of tried something to de frost or just call of earlier
Other games were so they must of had an official to make the decision
Very disappointed with the lack of communication from the club

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Barnsley team would likely have been in Exeter (or near by) by early afternoon. They would have very much wanted the game to be on, and would have wanted to give the pitch every opportunity to pass an inspection.
The Barnsley team came down on Monday and stayed in a hotel.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Barnsley team came down on Monday and stayed in a hotel.
Seems very extravagant. I hope we aren't expected to pay for them on Monday night too.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seems very extravagant. I hope we aren't expected to pay for them on Monday night too.
There are rules which apply regarding this, with the home team being liable for travel and accommodation costs (subject to specified limits, ie it is not a "blank cheque").

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Short of compulsory under-pitch heating (presumably unaffordable for lower league clubs) I'm not sure that anything can be done to avoid late postponements when temperatures are hovvering around freezing. It's a fact of life at 50.73066 degrees north :mad: .

It was b***** cold yesterday at 4pm and I wasn't looking forward to 2+ hours sat in the SASS. I know at least one ST holder (a regular on these pages) who was thinking about just staying home and watching on iFollow..

Communication issues are a different problem, and I hope that as the politicians say "lessons will be learnt".