• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Number 9 shirt

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
According to JT Yep

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you would find a number of fans would want the number 9 retired for life.

The number doesn’t represent the players position anymore but the number 9 to many city fans represent Adam.
Not for me the true and traditional Number 9, he never wore any other number scoring 51 goals in 108 appearances, has and will always be Ted Calland.

Red Bill

Players in that era didn't have fixed numbers, the shirt number corresponded solely to the position on the pitch. You could be a 10 one week and an 8 the next.
Except that in the days before substitutions squads were significantly smaller, formations were far more regular and replacements generally only came in if a first teamer was injured and players usually played in the same position every week. Hence players did usually wear the same number week in week out. Everyone knew the name of the centre forward and his number was 9.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Except that in the days before substitutions squads were significantly smaller, formations were far more regular and replacements generally only came in if a first teamer was injured and players usually played in the same position every week. Hence players did usually wear the same number week in week out. Everyone knew the name of the centre forward and his number was 9.
That's true. It wasn't considered a squad game until recently. and it seemed seldom were players out injured. Cec Smythe 2 Les McDonald 3 Arnie 4 Harvey 5 Anderson 6 Rees 7 or 11, Banksy 8 Curtis 9 Grace 10 Rees or Thorne 11.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Exactly for years, it was a simple game and with the possible exception of Man City and Leeds when they both experimented with, in Leeds case Don Revie, a deep lying Centre Forward the formation was 1 2 3 5 Keeper, No 2 Right Back, No 3 Left Back, Midfield No 4 Right Half, No 5 Centre Half, No 6 Left Half and Forward Line, No 7 Right Wing, No 8 Inside Right, No 9 Centre Forward, No 10 Inside Left and No 11 Outside Left.

The Full Backs jobs were to mark their Wingers and they rarely if ever went over the half way line and the Centre Half’s job was to mark the opposing Centre Forward. the Half Backs were also predominantly defenders but one would also play a more creative role.

The Forwards were just that purely and simply attackers and were not expected to drop back and defend
although one of the Inside Forwards would drop back to act as a creative link player.

It stayed very much like this until Clubs started to follow the European Clubs and introduce a Centre Back. After that we had moderate changes in formation 4 2 4 and 4 3 3 and it all went on from there a ......a simple game no longer.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Exactly for years, it was a simple game and with the possible exception of Man City and Leeds when they both experimented with, in Leeds case Don Revie, a deep lying Centre Forward the formation was 1 2 3 5 Keeper, No 2 Right Back, No 3 Left Back, Midfield No 4 Right Half, No 5 Centre Half, No 6 Left Half and Forward Line, No 7 Right Wing, No 8 Inside Right, No 9 Centre Forward, No 10 Inside Left and No 11 Outside Left.

The Full Backs jobs were to mark their Wingers and they rarely if ever went over the half way line and the Centre Half’s job was to mark the opposing Centre Forward. the Half Backs were also predominantly defenders but one would also play a more creative role.

The Forwards were just that purely and simply attackers and were not expected to drop back and defend
although one of the Inside Forwards would drop back to act as a creative link player.

It stayed very much like this until Clubs started to follow the European Clubs and introduce a Centre Back. After that we had moderate changes in formation 4 2 4 and 4 3 3 and it all went on from there a ......a simple game no longer.
The days of 2-3-5 have gone : now it's the reverse. Pity

PeteUSA

It’s just a squad number..Sad as Adams premature death was,it’s time to move on. The mention of his son to have the shirt is not a good idea. Any young player has enough pressure on them without any added expectation in a profession where 95% at aged 18 do not make a career out of the professional game.

Adam Stansfields legacy is well remembered at the club with the new stand.
I totally agree; nine seasons was the suggestion when Adam sadly died. I think that times up on that and the shirt should be issued to another player. Whoever said "times are still too raw" or words to that effect, give me a break. Its a pity he wasnt viewed so highly by so many followers during his lifetime than after his departure, never knowing half the time if he was picked to play by Tisdale or not, even after scoring a goal or two!

Last edited:

ryancooper327

With number 9 most probably coming back in next season, should it go to a new player or an existing player?

I don’t want to start the argument of whether it should or not, though I am in the camp of bringing it back. Maybe something else should be done when it does.

I couldn’t sleep the other night and thought about a scheme(?) where whenever any player scores wearing the 9, the club/trust/players donate £50 to AS9 foundation. I think that would be a good way of bringing it back and still doing something for Adam.

The No. 9 Fund.

Red Devon

Delicate subject.... but by the way he goes about his game with his fully commited attitude and work rate Ryan Bowman would be very much worthy of the No:9 shirt.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Assuming he's still with the Club next season, and there is a next season, Bowman surely has first dibs. He may not want it. of course, lots of players are not that fussed or superstitious.. Deano has kept #21 when he could have had a lower number.