• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The one thing I don't quite understand is that there was lots of talk about how the club had supported Taylor in signing him last year and I'm sure he's on good wages yet we don't seem to have any idea how to play with 2 strikers.
This! We don’t set up for 2, Nicky is best when being played through not chasing headers from crossing on the edge of the box which has been how MT has approached the final third for 2 years

GJW

Maybe he’ll have game time on Tuesday with Fisher and play a blinder.

milts

As would be Nicky Ajose, who when asked about his absence from the squad, Taylor said that it was a tactical decision and not due to injury.

He added: “He wasn’t in the squad today. Ben Seymour and Alex Fisher are ahead of him and he’ll get his opportunity on Tuesday.”

Grecianpasty

He should be in the squad. Would you leave your job for less money? Assuming somebody is offering him one.
I wouldn't leave if I where him, but he should be smart enough to know that if he doesn't play no ones going to come in for him once his contract runs out.

As MT stated in his post match interview, he wasnt in today's squad because he's behind Seymour and Fisher in the pecking order. This to me suggests that the others are showing more in training than him. Ive said it a lot, but the bloke has done nothing to warrant a starting place. Just because he's one of our highest earners doesn't guarantee him a place.

Mesut Ozil comes to mind.

dommers

This! We don’t set up for 2
So don't sign Ajose then if we can't fit him into the team

denzel

Ajose isn't injured, he's been fit and available throughout pre season.
Well those tactics worked today then...

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT stated in his post match interview, he wasnt in today's squad because he's behind Seymour and Fisher in the pecking order.
It takes something to be behind two strikers who scored a combined total of one league goal last season.

Taylor's record with strikers has been really poor and it's why we're still in League Two.

Banksy

It takes something to be behind two strikers who scored a combined total of one league goal last season.

Taylor's record with strikers has been really poor and it's why we're still in League Two.
Which says it all in a nutshell. I suspect a lot of us have our tongues hanging out in anticipation of some Ollie monies soon and hope that a tiny bit of that will be spent on a forward before the window closes.But at the back of my mind I wonder if we can trust Taylor to make the correct choice of one if that happens.
Of course we could always get one on loan and never play him!

Red Devon

Which says it all in a nutshell. I suspect a lot of us have our tongues hanging out in anticipation of some Ollie monies soon and hope that a tiny bit of that will be spent on a forward before the window closes.But at the back of my mind I wonder if we can trust Taylor to make the correct choice of one if that happens.
Of course we could always get one on loan and never play him!
Ultimately MT can only bring in a striker of the quality his budget will allow....if he’s only going to be given crumbs as people call it he’d probably be better off not bothering at all.

Banksy

Ultimately MT can only bring in a striker of the quality his budget will allow....if he’s only going to be given crumbs as people call it he’d probably be better off not bothering at all.
I fear that’s all he may be able to allocate while we are carrying Ajose.Catch 22 , Ajose apparently the highest paid forward / one most likely to score goals in the right formation , but Taylor unwilling to play him.Other choices severely limited , goals will be hard to come by I think so surely we will struggle unless the defence can keep a lot of clean sheets.