• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Minutes applause at 2.52 pm on saturday....

Grecian1987

Is it the expectation of some people that all we do for that minute is clap our hands (Newbury Grecian's post) - surely not? I would like to hear the "One Adam Stansfield" song personally but is somebody going to say "Shhh!"? I'm just trying to make sure that eveybody knows what is expected of them.
I would have liked that if there was a one minute silence, so def up for it if it's applause.

It depends what the feel is though - it may just happen spontaneously.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would like to hear the "One Adam Stansfield" song personally but is somebody going to say "Shhh!"? I'm just trying to make sure that eveybody knows what is expected of them.
Of course that will happen :)

EGTE

If we are celebrating Adam's life with one minute of applause then surely a rousing chorus of "One Adam Stansfield" at the same time would be entirely apropriate.

westbaygull

I'll be at Plainmoor tomorrow, but will be thinking of you all before kick off. Just hope that a desperately sad occasion can also be a celebration of Adam's life.

During our minutes applause recently for Paul Bristow, many of us chanted his name and it felt wholly approriate to do so. My advice would be - do whatever makes you feel best, whether it's a quiet moment of reflection, or applause, or chanting.

kuznetsov

It's odd the way the minute's applause has become more and more common. I always thought it was originally introduced for situations where you couldn't always guarantee that everyone would respect a minute's silence. I think the minute's silence is one of the things we do best in this country.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's odd the way the minute's applause has become more and more common. I always thought it was originally introduced for situations where you couldn't always guarantee that everyone would respect a minute's silence. I think the minute's silence is one of the things we do best in this country.
It was introduced for that reason, and its very sad that it has become as common as it is.

It was introduced for that reason, and its very sad that it has become as common as it is.
Was it really? I thought it was introduced because some people wanted to celebrate the life in a more upbeat fashion.

Personally, I can see the merits in both silence and applause.

Oldsmobile-88

It seems to have started at SJP when George Best passed away......

A minutes silence for a young man who died while employed by the club seems more fitting,but perhaps the family wanted the applause?...& the only opinion that counts in this debate is theirs..

My memory is short,but do we have applause or silence on Armistace Day at SJP(nearest Saturday)

Kuznetsov is your avatar picture,the end of the Crawley game in 2005???

PeteUSA

I totally agree. This minutes applause thing was originally introduced because the minutes silence thing was being buggered up by the mindless few. The problem is that next thing you know is that people who are standing respecting the silence start bollicking the bawling perpretators, and the ref feels duty bound to cut the minutes silence short by 30 seconds or more!

geoffwp

When the silence descends at the cenotaph at the last chime of Big Ben it never fails to make the hairs on the back of my neck prickle. Silence can be an awsome thing, so much more than any noise whatever it is.