• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mike Blackstone - RIP

Exehausted

Really sad to hear about Mike. You always knew the programme was a good read when he was in charge. Am I right in thinking he, relatively, wasn't that old or am I just forgetting that time jeeps marching on. I keep being surprised that so and so was 60 the other day or such like.
He wasn't old by todays standards but he was several years older then me so I would guess 68 or 69 but I don't think he was 70, but I might be wrong. He was a great friend of Dave Fisher, another well known City legend who we lost some years ago. Dave had an enormous amount of City memorabilia, which again I might be wrong, but I think a lot of it has been used by the City museum. I wrote for the programme when Mike was the editor for several years and it was incredible the product he produced, particularly when he moved to Morcambe.

Exehausted

Minutes applause?
If the Club are aware, possibly tonight or at the very least on Saturday I would hope.

ChrisWickens

So sad. The programmes he produced were splendid - I know I would not read them until I was on the train back to Cheltenham and quite often I didnt finish until we hit Bristol!
Condolences to his family.

Tim Long

He wasn't old by todays standards but he was several years older then me so I would guess 68 or 69 but I don't think he was 70, but I might be wrong. He was a great friend of Dave Fisher, another well known City legend who we lost some years ago. Dave had an enormous amount of City memorabilia, which again I might be wrong, but I think a lot of it has been used by the City museum. I wrote for the programme when Mike was the editor for several years and it was incredible the product he produced, particularly when he moved to Morcambe.
The Dave Fisher Collection https://swheritage.org.uk/news/exeter-city-fc-archive/
RIP, Mike. Hoping that Mike's stuff may also be headed for archivists or other people who will take good care of it.

Exehausted

The Dave Fisher Collection https://swheritage.org.uk/news/exeter-city-fc-archive/
RIP, Mike. Hoping that Mike's stuff may also be headed for archivists or other people who will take good care of it.
Thanks for that Tim. I knew it was out there somewhere, but I wasn't sure where.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Minutes applause?
I think he deserves that for the years he devoted when the only thing the club really excelled at were his programmes.

programme man

Mike produced the best programme in all the many years I've been attending matches and selling programmes.

haka

Very sad to hear this news. As others have said, his programmes were outstanding. I used to have a decent collection and regret losing many of them over the years, so it's great to be able to read them in the Grecian Archive, linked from here.

One of those people who pass away and you wonder if they knew how much they were appreciated. I hope Mike did.

Oldsmobile-88

From Exmouth Town FC.

Town were very sad to learn today of the passing of Mike Blackstone. Mike was an integral part of the "team behind the team" during the heydays of the 80's and was editor of Town's award winning programme at national level as well as going on to win further awards editing the programme of Exeter City.
His knowledge of football at all levels was phenomenal and he produced many interesting articles. Whilst he had not been in the best of health he was still very active on social media. Our thoughts are with Blackstone family. RIP Mike.

PeteUSA

Very sad news. Mike wrote some wonderful Exeter City books. I believe I have all of them. RIP.