• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
With regards to Matt Taylor, where do people think he is going to go ?

I don't see a championship club coming in for him and in all honesty is a move to a league one club worthwhile (all things considered).

I believe he will be in charge of ECFC for a long while yet. He's learning, he's improving, he's working in a good environment with plenty of support, why would he leave now ?

Ash

With regards to Matt Taylor, where do people think he is going to go ?

I don't see a championship club coming in for him and in all honesty is a move to a league one club worthwhile (all things considered).

I believe he will be in charge of ECFC for a long while yet. He's learning, he's improving, he's working in a good environment with plenty of support, why would he leave now ?
If we keep playing like we have been and we finish in the top 3, he's likely to have offers and quite possibly from the Championship. If Charlton slip up and don't go up, they'd be an obvious shout. I know that could well be a league one to league one switch, but no one could pretend that they're not a much bigger club with much bigger potential. Not to mention a much bigger salary. But we'll see, and I really hope you're right, long live KMT.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Managers don't move around like talented players, there are only so many clubs to manage and a lot of managers waiting to manage them.

Also one failure at a higher level can end a career, I imagine Taylor will be aware of that. There is no rush, he is very young.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Managers don't move around like talented players, there are only so many clubs to manage and a lot of managers waiting to manage them.

Also one failure at a higher level can end a career, I imagine Taylor will be aware of that. There is no rush, he is very young.
I don't think Taylor is going anywhere yet. There is a long term project here and it has only just started.

Reactions: WXF

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think Taylor is going anywhere yet. There is a long term project here and it has only just started.
I don't think he'll be going anywhere just yet, He himself will acknowledge that to date he hasn't achieved anything in football terms, A play off final that didn't end well doesn't look good on your CV, He is young, learning his trade with us and doing well at the moment but not enough to turn heads from other chairmen (Lincoln aside) If he had a promotion to his name then his stock would go up, If that promotion is with us then surely he'd go to the board and ask what are their ambitions, Do we consolidate, Try to achieve more or do we struggle? I'm sure MT is ambitious like the rest of us and if that wasn't mirrored by the club then he'd look at things, That is natural and we'd all do the same.

What is our project though? A genuine question, Is it to be top half of L2 with the odd promotion, Come back down and rebuild? Or is it to make a real effort to go up and stay there and maybe build on that? If the latter then the age old question about finance would come into it But if our project is to use our brilliant Academy to produce young talent to sell on, Make a few quid but stay in L2 with the odd promotion then would any manager want to buy into that? Surely that would be so frustrating to any manager when you think you've got a team that might achieve something (ie Promotion and staying there) every bloody January that talent gets swept up by other and bigger clubs or even worse is seeing the even younger talent being pinched off us by big clubs for peanuts, How annoying is that for a manager like MT?

Spoonz Red E

The Club's statement in its charter is to 'is to make Exeter City an outstanding community-owned club, playing football at the highest sustainable level'.

To avoid crash and burn the next step is simply to make us a comfortable, sustainable League 1 club with a realistic chance of challenging for the Championship.
Our last spell in League 1 showed that we didn't have the infrastructure or finances in place to sustain.
The experience of other Clubs in this region, Argyle, Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, (Bristol City at times) show how easy it is to slip up and fall.
If Matt gets us into League 1 and we remain competitive there he will have done well.
Maybe he'll then want to be the first manager to get us to Championship level.

DB9

The Club's statement in its charter is to 'is to make Exeter City an outstanding community-owned club, playing football at the highest sustainable level'.

To avoid crash and burn the next step is simply to make us a comfortable, sustainable League 1 club with a realistic chance of challenging for the Championship.
Our last spell in League 1 showed that we didn't have the infrastructure or finances in place to sustain.
The experience of other Clubs in this region, Argyle, Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, (Bristol City at times) show how easy it is to slip up and fall.
If Matt gets us into League 1 and we remain competitive there he will have done well.
Cheers for that Spoonz, I genuinely had no idea what the Charter/Project was. We do have a "Catch 22" situation with trying to be sustainable though, For example we go up this season with the impact that our academy lads have had (Because we're having to use more this season) then they catch the eye of other clubs and get swept up by them (Of course with compensation, sell on clauses etc) but that leaves a hole to fill that becomes difficult and we struggle again, A bloody annoying situation that doesn't give us the chance to consolidate in L1 and this have the chane to push on.

How as a manager would MT feel about that, Do all the hard work to get us up just to see the team "Ripped apart" by vultures from other clubs? Like i said, MT won't be going anywhere sometimes soon but I'm sure he'll be frustrated as hell if he sees a team that gets him up split because of the need to? Because staying in L1 will cost and cost a lot more.

arthur

The quality of life for a lower league manager is not particularly brilliant. You arrive somewhere and within three years either get sacked or move on. And eventually you get given a job you struggle at (for whatever reason) and then you get sacked.

At which point you either dust yourself down and get more jobs and more sackings (Sheridan) or give up and do something else. All of which is hugely disruptive of family life and requires a special kind of masochism, narcissism (it's always someone else's fault) or both.

Small wonder that Alex and Eamo both opted for well paid stable jobs running academies. Or that Tisdale stayed at Exeter where he enjoyed a prolonged period of stability. I can realistically see Matt choosing either of these options over the high stakes gamble of taking over a club with unreasonable expectations of what he might achieve with them.

Red Bill

Perhaps the salary cap makes sustaining L1 more achievable and realistic now?

DB9

The quality of life for a lower league manager is not particularly brilliant. You arrive somewhere and within three years either get sacked or move on. And eventually you get given a job you struggle at (for whatever reason) and then you get sacked.

At which point you either dust yourself down and get more jobs and more sackings (Sheridan) or give up and do something else. All of which is hugely disruptive of family life and requires a special kind of masochism, narcissism (it's always someone else's fault) or both.

Small wonder that Alex and Eamo both opted for well paid stable jobs running academies. Or that Tisdale stayed at Exeter where he enjoyed a prolonged period of stability. I can realistically see Matt choosing either of these options over the high stakes gamble of taking over a club with unreasonable expectations of what he might achieve with them.
I just think listening to his interviews, Post and pre matches he doesn't come across as a man or manager that's happy to "Sit on his arse" in a job because its safe, i genuniely believe he is ambitious and will want to test himself, Hopefully that will be with us but if our ambitions don't match him and his stock is high (Through Promotion, Man management, Bringing on youngsters etc) then he'd be off somewhere. In life we all change jobs because we're "Sold a dream" by a prospective employer and obvious financial gain and in like sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, I can't see MT being any different.