• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Burnt currants

Swanaldo

Burnt currants
Have you been trying to make a Selkirk Bannock?

Swanaldo

In every episode of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, there's a bit where Gordon gets changed into his chef costume. It's just an excuse for him to get his tits out and it makes me cross every time he does it. Also they sometimes show him turning up at the crap restaurant on a motorbike, wearing a leather jacket like he's the bleeding Fonz or something.

I should probably stop watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, I hear you cry, but it's strangely addictive.

Alistair20000

Have you been trying to make a Selkirk Bannock?
No cannot say I have. Does that one use sultanas rather than currants ? Is burning the fruitage part of the recommended process ?

Burnt sultanas are marginally less distressing than burnt currants.

Rosencrantz

Watching WWII Turning Points documentary on History - easy watching - and the narrator's pronunciation of Moscow. Not even the American version. More like "Mus-ca".

IndoMike

Not a little thing..
Prison sentences.It is hard to rationalise the 10 years a man got for not declaring a treasure trove of old coins he found with his metal detector,thus defrauding the government(who are entitled to half) whilst about 75 miles away a young man got 12 years 6 months for murdering his former girlfriend.
Lots of examples of serious sex crimes would have attracted a lower tariff than what the greedy bloke with his metal detector got.
I didn't want to get political, but the ruling class has always devised laws to protect their possessions above all else. The welfare and protection of the normal bloke/ woman is secondary. .
I agree entirely that punishments nowadays do not fit the crime. A violent criminal gets off very lightly.

IndoMike

-Screw tops that are hard to unscrew, especially when they're small and you can't get a good grip on them.
Other annoying things include:
- Having to look for something like a key or specs because you're getting senile and can't remember where you put the bleddy things.
- Videos that you can't look at it because they're not available in your area. This also applies to radio commentaries on football matches
- Dropping raw eggs on floor
- People who arrive late but never early
- Thinking there are still some After 8's in the packet but finding that there aren't any
- People who start asking the delicatessen questions about products when they are in the process of serving you.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Interupting a group of 5-6 staff members at Sainsburys talking about their plans for xmas and asking them why the express basket aisle isn't open only to be told they are busy at the moment and then getting charged 20p for a carrier bag !

Legohead

Banned
I didn't want to get political, but the ruling class has always devised laws to protect their possessions above all else. The welfare and protection of the normal bloke/ woman is secondary. .
I agree entirely that punishments nowadays do not fit the crime. A violent criminal gets off very lightly.
This is the same for any crime involving money. A bank robber usually gets a longer sentence than someone who causes permanent injury or even death. Money is more important than lives in their eyes.

Legohead

Banned
Sales people who suddenly converge on you from all corners of the store when you walk in then ask, "Are you looking for anything in particular" or "Do you need any help at all?" or "Are you alright there?"

The answer to all three would be NO.

If I am looking for something in particular then i'll find it. If i can't find it I am a grown adult and have the capacity to be able to ask for help. So no, i'm not alright and you Mr / Mrs saleperson have just cost your company a potential sale by being intrusive and annoying because i'm out of there. I can't look around after that knowing their hawk eyes are watching you to see what you are looking at. Very offputting.

I still can't understand why salespeople do this as all the people I know will just walk out of a shop if they are approached by a staff member. It makes no business sense. Just leave people alone and just be available to help if shoppers decide they need it. Simples.