• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ling on his depression!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hats off to you and others who have come out and spoken with honesty and courage. There is still so much stigma attached to mental illnesses that defies belief in this day and age.
No one would bat an eyelid if he had been off work with a broken leg. I worked in mental health all my working life and I don't believe that most people are aware that the symptoms of anxiety and depression are familiar to us all to a certain degree. There is a fine line between mental illness and normality.
I main issue i struggled with is the lack of logic behind it all. There is no logic for one day being able to go to the supermarket and the next day not being able to without having a panic attack. Its all very strange and it is very difficult t explain to those who either have no experience or have not suffered with it in the past.

I was very fortunate that my employer the NHS sorted me out counseling and did all they could to help me through the process. A year ago i would not have spoken about it because of the stigma attached to mental health issues. Its a real eye opener just how badly people treat others with issues surrounding their mental health.

As you say if i broke my leg people would not concern themselves with why you are off work but when it comes to panic and Anxiety people just slate it as laziness n skiving. Fortunately my direct bosses and those above them all looked after me and sorted me with everything i needed to help me fight my problems. I still have bad days but they(Touch wood) are being less and less frequent. Hopefully that will last.

Hope Ling finds a job back within football. Must have taken a lot of courage to speak out in the way he did about his experiences and hopefully it will help lift some of the stigma attached to mental health problems.

butch

Re: Martin Ling

A brave, humbling but ultimately uplifting piece on the trials of former City favourite, Martin Ling: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26647517

A very worthy candidate for our next manager - but will he still be available then?
Great player and a great guy, went to his wedding many years ago and his family were great people also.

Thames Valley Red

Get Well Martin Ling..............

Martin Ling: Depression should not stop managers

Last edited by a moderator:

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Re: Get Well Martin Ling..............

An interesting read, wish him all the best.

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster

Ditto, coached my lad a few years ago, top bloke...

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster

I liked Martin as a player back in the day, I hope he conquers his demons and I wish him all the best going forward

FAN-TATIC

It is so very sad and disappointing that in this day and age their is still a stigma where mental health is realised. If Martin had had a heart attack from the stress that he was experiencing, people would have said, poor bloke, get well soon. But it is those very same stresses that chose to attack his brain rather than his heart. People do not get depression because they are weak, they get it for being too strong for too long. The body sends out warnings months in advance, if one ignores those warnings and carries on, there comes a time when the brain decides enough is enough, if you won't slow down yourself then it will do it for you. It releases a chemical into the system and when this happens there is nothing one can do to reverse it.

I wish Martin all the luck in the world and commend him for having the strength to talk publicly about his illness. Good luck and most of all good health to you Martin Ling.

Last edited:

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Fingers crossed for Mr Ling. Respect. Depression is very hard to deal with.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member