• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ling on his depression!

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Torquay United Football Club, their fans etc.
Do you think it was fair on Martin Ling?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Would like to see Lingy here when Tisdale goes. Got sacked for Torquay nearly getting relegated last season when it was in fact Knill who oversaw the slump.
No it wasn't - they were in freefall when he left.

His appointment at Torquay caused fits of amazement amongst Cambridge fans too.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it wasn't - they were in freefall when he left.

His appointment at Torquay caused fits of amazement amongst Cambridge fans too.
Points per game up to when he left - 1.3
Points per game from then until the end of the season - 0.95

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Points per game up to when he left - 1.3
Points per game from then until the end of the season - 0.95
Knill was in charge for 14 games, they picked up 16 points.
Ling's last 14 games - 16 points.

They were dropping like a stone when he left, although it was Taylor who oversaw the main "slump", picking up a solitary win as caretaker.

Grecian_Jay

Do you think it was fair on Martin Ling?
If you're not doing the job well enough then you need to go.Irrespective of the circumstances. It's a business not a charity.

StroudGrecian

If you're not doing the job well enough then you need to go.Irrespective of the circumstances. It's a business not a charity.
Not how the lawyers would see it Jay - think we've been here recently on another thread.

How about if you haven't been given the tools to do the job with? Or the training, or the resources? Or if your endeavours have been undermined by others? Or if you have been discriminated against, or bullied? Or have been injured or, heaven forbid, fallen ill?

Businesses are primarily about people, who need investing in and protecting; you can't just sack them if things aren't as they should be.

Grecian_Jay

Not how the lawyers would see it Jay - think we've been here recently on another thread.

How about if you haven't been given the tools to do the job with? Or the training, or the resources? Or if your endeavours have been undermined by others? Or if you have been discriminated against, or bullied? Or have been injured or, heaven forbid, fallen ill?

Businesses are primarily about people, who need investing in and protecting; you can't just sack them if things aren't as they should be.
And that's why the world is in such a state.

Chuckles

Ling talks about depression, although is he simply in denial? Did his depression come from another illness or was his depression the cause of the other illness?

Who knows, what is known is Ling was deemed unfit to carry out his role as manager of Torquay United, by Torquay United

contrabombarde

I think the really sad thing is that he essentially lost his job over it. He was doing a cracking job at Torquay in very trying circumstances and if Tisdale left i would love to see him given the chance here at SJP.

I believe 1 in 3 people suffer anxiety or panic at some point. Its genuinely a scary experience and one which cannot be described. I broke down at my friends wedding and had a panic attack that lasted nearly 2 hours. I had 2 more that weekend. I lost nearly 6 months of my life to that weekend. Watching Exeter v Plymouth and Exeter v York at SJP earlier this season where 2 of the hardest things i have done(I mean to attend and be able to stand in the big bank without having a nervous breakdown and not because we are ****). I still suffer with bad anxiety but have managed(Hopefully) to control the panic attacks.

I have complete sympathy with Martin Ling and still believe the way he was treated was a disgrace.
Hats off to you and others who have come out and spoken with honesty and courage. There is still so much stigma attached to mental illnesses that defies belief in this day and age.
No one would bat an eyelid if he had been off work with a broken leg. I worked in mental health all my working life and I don't believe that most people are aware that the symptoms of anxiety and depression are familiar to us all to a certain degree. There is a fine line between mental illness and normality.

KentGrecians

Martin Ling

A brave, humbling but ultimately uplifting piece on the trials of former City favourite, Martin Ling: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26647517

A very worthy candidate for our next manager - but will he still be available then?