• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We don't need that to happen to survive this season anyway, but on the much bigger principle, you are seriously missing the point.

Some points deductions may be harsh (fans' protests) but when it comes to financial mismanagement - or cheating - we should welcome them. So should every football fan.

Clubs that ignore the rules are committing a crime with real victims, namely the clubs who follow the rules, like Exeter City. For example, Swindon got promoted in 2020 when we missed out, and later they had points deducted ... but in League One. Not much use for other L2 clubs who had to play against Swindon's players who they couldn't really pay for.

Reading probably won't get relegated this season but if they do it will be justified because the club is shockingly run, and bills aren't paid. Football needs more punishment for clubs like that, not less.

(And yes, ECFC was shockingly run in 2002/3, didn't pay the bills, and if rules had been stricter then, might have gone into the Conference with a points deduction. Fair enough too).
I 100% agree with this. Reading are appallingly run, but the media seem to only focus on the pain of the fans at the club, Like when Bury won the league only to go bust straight after the season finished and I think that cost us a promotion or playoff spot as well. There is no focus on the consequences to other clubs at all and that needs to change. I personally think harsher penalties for re-offence should be in place.

Exehausted

I 100% agree with this. Reading are appallingly run, but the media seem to only focus on the pain of the fans at the club, Like when Bury won the league only to go bust straight after the season finished and I think that cost us a promotion or playoff spot as well. There is no focus on the consequences to other clubs at all and that needs to change. I personally think harsher penalties for re-offence should be in place.
There was a fascinating debate on Talk sport yesterday with a financial football expert about the Everton situation. He said that the appeal by a KC didn't mention the pain caused to the fans or the comments by people like Andy Burnham. He said that a group of Everton supporter associations put in their opinions why it should be overturned, but this was largely ignored, because fans from other clubs whose teams suffered because of Everton's cheating weren't allowed an opinion. He also thinks Everton will be hit with another two points deduction for last season and Forest with 2 or 3 points. He said Forest are almost certain to appeal and that will take until the end of June. If relegation is involved it will cause havoc, with a club not knowing if they are going to be relegated, making planning for next season all but impossible. The host said "surely the PL wont allow that to happen" and the reply was " by their rules that's the time scale so there's no way out of it". He finished by saying that clubs are now being run much better financially because of the fear of points deductions. About time too I say!

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Forget the goal difference. Points is king and we'll get enough. I'm not sure why so many are stressed about it. If we were bottom 6 and 2 points above the relegation zone I'd get it, but we're mid table.
Forgone conclusion then ? At least one of the bottom four places is still up for grabs and we’re not exactly convincing at the moment are we , we’re predictable , low scoring , boring , accident prone , put in what you like , most of it will fit.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Forgone conclusion then ? At least one of the bottom four places is still up for grabs and we’re not exactly convincing at the moment are we , we’re predictable , low scoring , boring , accident prone , put in what you like , most of it will fit.
Not a forgone conclusion until we're mathematically safe but we've got breathing space, loads of teams below us, and we're highly unlikely to go down IMO. It's been a shit season, no denying it, mainly because of the borefest football we witness at SJP, but we're not getting relegated.

tonykellowfan

The bookies go odds on Carlisle fleetwood and port vale. Then one from Cheltenham Shrewsbury and Reading.

Positive spin

“Not exactly convincing” is being somewhat generous. When you watch other League 1 teams including those who are struggling you can at least see their tactics for scoring. With City this season I cannot see how we plan to score goals. We rarely cross the ball and when we do there is no one on the end of it. We don’t break through the middle. We have had plenty of corners but they come to nothing. Cole is the only one capable of shooting from a distance or free kick and he doesn’t play every game and is now going to be suspended.

Banksy

“Not exactly convincing” is being somewhat generous. When you watch other League 1 teams including those who are struggling you can at least see their tactics for scoring. With City this season I cannot see how we plan to score goals. We rarely cross the ball and when we do there is no one on the end of it. We don’t break through the middle. We have had plenty of corners but they come to nothing. Cole is the only one capable of shooting from a distance or free kick and he doesn’t play every game and is now going to be suspended.
Add predictable to the above list then. Other teams can easily set themselves up to combat us given our same old set match plan which doesn’t seemingly change much even when our opponents change theirs. And one goal will be often be enough to win the match for them because scoring for us seems so painfully difficult.Sometimes I wonder what Caldwell’s up to , maybe he doesn’t know himself.
That’s why I believe it’s not a given we will stay up.Just one more bad run which our Gary is more than capable of and we’ll be in that bottom four with no time to pull ourselves out.Thank goodness for Carlisle and Fleetwood.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Statement from Cambridge

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
An exciting match in prospect week after next - Bolton Wanderers fans comment after last night
"Most passion we showed all game was when the ref blew the darned whistle, absolute darned bottle jobs the lot of them, they don't deserve the support they get week in week out, we're the most boring team to watch in the whole darned league #bwfc "
He might change his mind after visiting SJP ;)

iscalad

An exciting match in prospect week after next - Bolton Wanderers fans comment after last night
"Most passion we showed all game was when the ref blew the darned whistle, absolute darned bottle jobs the lot of them, they don't deserve the support they get week in week out, we're the most boring team to watch in the whole darned league #bwfc "
He might change his mind after visiting SJP ;)
Why? Bolton will be playing😛