• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

sign of the chimes

15th is mid table? 7 points from the bottom 4, 19 from the top 6.
It would take a spectacularly bad run from here given that a couple of the spots look wrapped up already and the number of other bodies between you and 20th. That's not saying I wouldn't be looking at things the same way as you are (as a natural pessimist).

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't forget GC's obligatory losing run at the end of the season ?
He's had that all in one go this season.😉

JW57++

If Carlsberg did Tuesday nights...

Obviously plenty of time between now and the end of the campaign - and a fellow season ticket holder at work and I agreed today that neither of us think we've looked much better than a play-off side for most of the season to date. It will come down to whether we can win/draw enough of our upcoming run against Top 8 sides - chuffed to be where we are tonight, it massively exceeds my expectations at the start of the campaign.

Fleetwood's comeback tonight at the other end could be massive in the shakedown at the bottom. I suspect it does them no/few favours but might do a few of the teams above the line a favour.
Will you be deserting us next year when Pompey reach the Championship?

haka

The desperation of hoping another club gets points deducted to save ourselves is cringey.
We don't need that to happen to survive this season anyway, but on the much bigger principle, you are seriously missing the point.

Some points deductions may be harsh (fans' protests) but when it comes to financial mismanagement - or cheating - we should welcome them. So should every football fan.

Clubs that ignore the rules are committing a crime with real victims, namely the clubs who follow the rules, like Exeter City. For example, Swindon got promoted in 2020 when we missed out, and later they had points deducted ... but in League One. Not much use for other L2 clubs who had to play against Swindon's players who they couldn't really pay for.

Reading probably won't get relegated this season but if they do it will be justified because the club is shockingly run, and bills aren't paid. Football needs more punishment for clubs like that, not less.

(And yes, ECFC was shockingly run in 2002/3, didn't pay the bills, and if rules had been stricter then, might have gone into the Conference with a points deduction. Fair enough too).

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Carlisle and Fleetwood are down…

I reckon its then 14th (Wycombe) to 22nd in danger (Port Vale)

I reckon Charlton , Reading & Wycombe will be fine…

so it leaves IMO Port Vale , Cheltenham, Shrewsbury, Burton , Cambridge and Exeter to battle it out…for the last 2 spots

sign of the chimes

Will you be deserting us next year when Pompey reach the Championship?
Only if you're lucky, I hung around like a bad smell for a number of years when we got promoted from L2. I'm very open to requests if people do want me to p**s of though (y)

sign of the chimes

Carlisle and Fleetwood are down…

I reckon its then 14th (Wycombe) to 22nd in danger (Port Vale)

I reckon Charlton , Reading & Wycombe will be fine…

so it leaves IMO Port Vale , Cheltenham, Shrewsbury, Burton , Cambridge and Exeter to battle it out…for the past 2 spots
Only variable there for me with that is that Reading have a couple more paydays to navigate (no idea how often they need to settle with HMRC, is it monthly/quarterly)?

JW57++

Only if you're lucky, I hung around like a bad smell for a number of years when we got promoted from L2. I'm very open to requests if people do want me to p**s of though (y)
You are always welcome here Chimes, in my opinion. Always had a soft spot for Pompey as a lot of my family are from that area.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
you spout more sense than JGrecian so you are most welcome to hang around :ROFLMAO: