• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

sign of the chimes

you spout more sense than JGrecian so you are most welcome to hang around :ROFLMAO:
One of the things I love about forums like this is that so long as things stay civil, you can enjoy a robust difference of views with people who see things completely differently.

As an outsider, I'm taken aback (in a positive way) by the degree to which that seems to be the case on here; the Caldwell stuff on here this season has absolutely demonstrated the spectrum of opinion, and resulted in lots of pretty fierce debate; but by and large it's been respectful.

I think as a club you've got a pretty special thing going. I also think you're pretty lucky to have exeweb

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
It would take a spectacularly bad run from here given that a couple of the spots look wrapped up already and the number of other bodies between you and 20th. That's not saying I wouldn't be looking at things the same way as you are (as a natural pessimist).
Like no wins in 13?
I'm not saying we will go down, just can't be complacent and unfortunately we have to look at teams below not above, which is not what you do when you're in mid table

andrew p long

None of the 4 players signed from ECFC last summer got on the pitch in Burton's home defeat to Carlisle (who themselves had lost 8 on the trot)

(Thinks - would this have been better on the former players thread?)

Antony Moxey

Sometimes Tony you just gotta accept you are talking crap and take it on the chin.

Let me know when you understand the basics of points won in a football match and we can continue 😀
So I'm talking about points already earned, and you're on about games in hand, and you're asking me if I understand the basics of points won? Righto...

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
None of the 4 players signed from ECFC last summer got on the pitch in Burton's home defeat to Carlisle (who themselves had lost 8 on the trot)

(Thinks - would this have been better on the former players thread?)
I noticed that as well and you have to think the former manager's recruitment of our four plus Stockton went a long way to his demise. Stockton, Harper and Blackman I suspect were their three highest earners but contributed next to nothing thus wasting his budget

cannockred

Only if you're lucky, I hung around like a bad smell for a number of years when we got promoted from L2. I'm very open to requests if people do want me to p**s of though (y)
Dont do that for heavens sake. We need more people on this forum talking sense not fewer.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reminds me of Cheltenham away last season...

tom_ecfc

Wrong thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We don't need that to happen to survive this season anyway, but on the much bigger principle, you are seriously missing the point.

Some points deductions may be harsh (fans' protests) but when it comes to financial mismanagement - or cheating - we should welcome them. So should every football fan.

Clubs that ignore the rules are committing a crime with real victims, namely the clubs who follow the rules, like Exeter City. For example, Swindon got promoted in 2020 when we missed out, and later they had points deducted ... but in League One. Not much use for other L2 clubs who had to play against Swindon's players who they couldn't really pay for.

Reading probably won't get relegated this season but if they do it will be justified because the club is shockingly run, and bills aren't paid. Football needs more punishment for clubs like that, not less.

(And yes, ECFC was shockingly run in 2002/3, didn't pay the bills, and if rules had been stricter then, might have gone into the Conference with a points deduction. Fair enough too).
My personal issue with Reading is that they have gained an unfair sporting advantage by signing players on wages it now appears they can't afford to pay so the more points deductions the better as far as I'm concerned.