• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd take that position for our 1st season back in L1.
where's your ambition laddie :)

sign of the chimes

Not a prediction but from what I’ve seen and read I’m expecting Ipswich, Barnsley Bolton, Derby, probably Peterborough to be really strong…Sheffield Wednesday didn’t impress in the playoffs so I don’t know what to make of them.
If Wednesday don't have to cut their cloth too much they'll be really strong - had a really good last six months of the season; but paid for an average start. However, I've heard various people saying they might have to make some fairly swingeing cuts over the summer - if that comes to pass then who knows.

Barnsley will depend on whether they've got the management appointment right as their performance this season was what most people had anticipated for them in the previous campaign; Derby is just impossible to call at the moment.

Peterborough's recruitment model has been consistently brilliant for years - but it needs to be remembered that before getting promoted in 2020/21 they had consecutively been in L1 longer than any other club. Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting them to be right up there; but will be interesting to see if they are stronger for their season a level above. I suspect they'd have liked to have sold Jonson Clarke-Harris this season given his previous injury record.

Bolton were only a couple of players away this season - but started badly (as they did in L2 last year) and it cost them. If they recruit well and get off to a good start they could be worth a few quid each way.

Your local rivals will be interesting to watch. Schumacher inherited a decent side and kept the momentum going; but now has to do that himself with a side that may have over-performed a bit last season. I think they'll do okay.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your local rivals will be interesting to watch. Schumacher inherited a decent side and kept the momentum going; but now has to do that himself with a side that may have over-performed a bit last season. I think they'll do okay.
Not being biased…but again from what I’ve seen I have a feeling that both US and Bristol Rovers could be dark horses next season.

sign of the chimes

Not being biased…but again from what I’ve seen I have a feeling that both US and Bristol Rovers could be dark horses next season.
I've no data behind this so might be talking out of my hat but my sense is that promoted sides tend to do well if they keep their key players and their managers. At this early stage my sense is that the top end of the division will be very tough again but might not be quite as strong as this season (Wycombe were 6th with 83 points). Any promoted team able to achieve that sort of level would deserve massive plaudits.

IndoMike

Bloody Sunderland won. Another year of Wycombe.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Their retained list shows the out of contract players they offered a new contract to. Young is listed as being released. Fees are not paid for players who are released. Three goals in 22 games for "the outstanding team in League Two" would suggest he is nothing special.

A tribunal is sometimes needed to determine a fee when player who is under 24 has moved between clubs at the end of his contract, and the two sides are unable to agree on compensation.
If Wednesday don't have to cut their cloth too much they'll be really strong - had a really good last six months of the season; but paid for an average start. However, I've heard various people saying they might have to make some fairly swingeing cuts over the summer - if that comes to pass then who knows.

Barnsley will depend on whether they've got the management appointment right as their performance this season was what most people had anticipated for them in the previous campaign; Derby is just impossible to call at the moment.

Peterborough's recruitment model has been consistently brilliant for years - but it needs to be remembered that before getting promoted in 2020/21 they had consecutively been in L1 longer than any other club. Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting them to be right up there; but will be interesting to see if they are stronger for their season a level above. I suspect they'd have liked to have sold Jonson Clarke-Harris this season given his previous injury record.

Bolton were only a couple of players away this season - but started badly (as they did in L2 last year) and it cost them. If they recruit well and get off to a good start they could be worth a few quid each way.

The battle for promotion already looks tough as there are at least 5 or 6 clubs (Derby, Ipswich, Bolton, Wednesday, Portsmouth, Charlton) who will think they are too big for League One and should be competing at the top of the table plus another 4 or 5 (MK, Barnsley, Oxford, Peterborough, Wycombe) who have been in and around the top of the table in recent seasons and will expect to be there again. Inevitably a few of those won't live up to expectations next season but, even so, that still leaves the top of the table looking very congested.

Memphis09

A tribunal is sometimes needed to determine a fee when player who is under 24 has moved between clubs at the end of his contract, and the two sides are unable to agree on compensation.

The battle for promotion already looks tough as there are at least 5 or 6 clubs (Derby, Ipswich, Bolton, Wednesday, Portsmouth, Charlton) who will think they are too big for League One and should be competing at the top of the table plus another 4 or 5 (MK, Barnsley, Oxford, Peterborough, Wycombe) who have been in and around the top of the table in recent seasons and will expect to be there again. Inevitably a few of those won't live up to expectations next season but, even so, that still leaves the top of the table looking very congested.
You forgot Exeter think we will do well

DawlishBouy

Fulham offered Elliott a contract and were therefor entitled to compensation.
The story with Young is strange because FGR reported they had not offered him a new contract and had released him. If true it doesn’t matter if he’s under 24 or over a 100 they can’t claim a fee for him. Either FGR incorrectly reported their retained list [which is a little strange] or Bradford are telling porkies about paying a fee [which would be very strange].

andrew p long

Yes,it is strange for the reasons DB mentions. My guess (nothing more than a guess) is that the Young deal was (very) close to completion and that FGR were focussing on which players would and wouldn't be around next season. So FGR put him into what they thought of as the 'not here next season ' list for their website (but mistakenly included him in the 'released' list)

Spoonz Red E

Yes,it is strange for the reasons DB mentions. My guess (nothing more than a guess) is that the Young deal was (very) close to completion and that FGR were focussing on which players would and wouldn't be around next season. So FGR put him into what they thought of as the 'not here next season ' list for their website (but mistakenly included him in the 'released' list)
I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

That sort of mistake would have had to have been made both at the level of publicity on the website but also, crucially, at the FA player registration level and any contract conversations with the player himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.