• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Winchester 1973 (1950)

Revenge western starring James Stewart. Several good sequences - the rifle competition at the start of the film, helping a cavalry unit to beat off a Sioux attack and the final showdown with his quarry. Small early roles for Rock Hudson as a Sioux chief, and Tony Curtis as a young trooper. Stewart's loyal sidekick, Millard Mitchell, had a short film career, but was in several other good ones: Kiss of Death, The Gunfighter and Singin' In The Rain (as the studio boss). 7 out of 10.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Dig 2020.On Netflix . Starring Carey Mulligan, Ralph Fiennes and Lily James. Amble amongst the Sutton Hoo ship burial remains just before WW2 .With a little bit of tragedy , romance and in fighting between some of the archaeologists thrown in for good measure. Nice little story based on the book.
Enjoyable . Eight gold torcs out of ten Saxon helmets.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Both had Caldecott and Charters the cricket loving duo in them.
They appeared in The Passport to Pimlico (1949) which covers the story of what happens to a little bit of Pimlico when they discover treasure when a UXB goes off, and a charer that gives them autonomy. Very good story, with plenty of humour. Spent sometime trying to see if I recognise anything of the modern Pimlico, but too much was filmed in a studio for that. Good watch 6/10.

Banksy

They appeared in The Passport to Pimlico (1949) which covers the story of what happens to a little bit of Pimlico when they discover treasure when a UXB goes off, and a charer that gives them autonomy. Very good story, with plenty of humour. Spent sometime trying to see if I recognise anything of the modern Pimlico, but too much was filmed in a studio for that. Good watch 6/10.
Also in ‘It’s Not Cricket’ 1949.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Also in ‘It’s Not Cricket’ 1949.
I see IMDB describes the plot as "Refined English Chaos". :)

DB9

Surely worth more than a 6/10 Hants? A classic film, I'd said 7.5/10 at least?

grecIAN Harris

Twist, a Sky Original spin on Oliver Twist with Michael Cane as Fagin. Rita Ora and Noel Clarke (from Bulletproof among other things) also star. A very different, urban spin on the Dickens classic. The film itself isn't a classic but keeps you entertained.

Banksy

News of the World 2020. Tom Hanks. Netflix. No , nothing to do with that old rag newspaper.
Just after the American Civil War , Hanks an ex Confederate captain ( who makes a living reading newspapers to the public from township to township hence the film title) , comes across a wagon which has been attacked and the occupants killed.He finds a young ten year old girl hiding and then finds himself landed with taking her through the rugged landscape to find her relatives.Well done , based on a good story published in 2016 and with a good performance as usual from Hanks. 9/10.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Summerland (2020). A lovely WWII story about a reclusive and cold woman who has to look after a London evacuee much to her displeasure. Gemma Arterton (Alice) and Gugu Mbatha-Raw star as Alice warms to the boy. 8/10.

Banksy

See Post #8614 above.
It’s Not Cricket 1949 British comedy starring Basil Radford , Naunton Wayne and Maurice Denham. Found the film on YouTube.This time the cricket loving duo ,inappropriately named Major Bright and Captain Early ,are drummed out of the Army Intelligence Corps just after the war for incompetence. I didn’t expect too much comedy wise but I was pleasantly surprised and found myself chuckling quite a few timeS. Diana Dors has a couple of minutes in a cameo role as an aspiring secretarial job applicant. 7/10.