• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just how should we finish the season?

ryancooper327

Firstly review all finances from Prem to NL, if they can’t sustain ‘next’ season then remove from league system. Stupid having teams going half way through a season or docking points 2/3/4 times. Then worry about the positions next but I’d just do top 3 and bottom 3 from every league for promotion and relegation from PPG.

Though I think they’ll give the first PO space as an auto. So we should ask the EFL to sack the lino at Walsall that cost us being 4th on PPG.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Of course, we were always going to be have a small budget for League One if promoted normally. But imo, with less money in the league than there would have been, we’d have more of a chance at making it work than if all the clubs were still free spending, .
Even in these times we will still have a small budget compared to other clubs, With the nature of our ownership model that is just a fact

Nigel E

If they made me king of football, I would:

- end the season in all PL/EFL divisions but leave the results on the record for player achievement purposes, and any transfer deals that might depend on appearances.
- award the PL title to Liverpool because, well honestly, they would have won it.
- award the European places and PL prize money on points per game.
- invite Leeds and West Brom into the PL to make it a 22 team PL in 2020/21. Possible chance of legal challenge from those below them but on balance can't see it.
- have a 22-team Championship in 2020/21.
- relegate five from the PL and promote three from the Championship to even it up for 2021/22.
- invite Swindon into L1 (on PPG) for 2020/21 to bring L1 back to 24 clubs (i.e. replacing Bury)
- invite Barrow into L2 (as they were 4pts clear in the NL) to backfill for Swindon
- need to think about whether to roll forward the points deductions for Bolton and Macclesfield. Might be generous and let them off.

Won't happen.

Legohead

Banned
Reports just now on talksport that they expect the league to be concluded next week by PPG.

Grecian_Matt

Reports just now on talksport that they expect the league to be concluded next week by PPG.
Just heard that too..

Cheltenham are getting promoted, so another season in L2.

Time for new management - Taylor has had 2 seasons and no promotions, club hasn't moved forward.

ryancooper327

I’d accept that if it were just automatic promotions going up, giving 4th a spot up isn’t fair on us and the other two. Guess I’d be all for it if it was us though!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just heard that too..

Cheltenham are getting promoted, so another season in L2.

Time for new management - Taylor has had 2 seasons and no promotions, club hasn't moved forward.
As I understand it, there's a widespread acceptance there won't be any more games, but that the season won't be null and void its entirety; what's less clear is how promotion and relegation will be decided with various mathematical models being put forward. Apparently, it will be down to a vote of EFL clubs which one is used.

It has been mooted that you simply use the result of each club's first game against each of the other sides in their division – which, I imagine, would see us promoted – but it seems altogether more likely some kind of PPG basis will be used.

Just to compound our likely frustration, it looks like Coventry, who probably shouldn't have got past Notts County in last season's play-off semi-final, will be playing in the Championship next season.

denzel

As I understand it, there's a widespread acceptance there won't be any more games, but that the season won't be null and void its entirety; what's less clear is how promotion and relegation will be decided with various mathematical models being put forward. Apparently, it will be down to a vote of EFL clubs which one is used.

It has been mooted that you simply use the result of each club's first game against each of the other sides in their division – which, I imagine, would see us promoted – but it seems altogether more likely some kind of PPG basis will be used.

Just to compound our likely frustration, it looks like Coventry, who probably shouldn't have got past Notts County in last season's play-off semi-final, will be playing in the Championship next season.
Any idea what the full transcript of that article is? I've no desire to sign up to something which might end up costing me £59.

Spoonz Red E

These are the PPG stats on equal games played up to 36 games (the amount Cheltenham have played).
Games 1 to 13 we were ahead on PPG against Cheltenham
Games 14 to 15 behind
Game 16 level
Games 17 to 18 behind
Games 19 to 36 ahead

So on equal games played we were ahead of Cheltenham on PPG for 31 games
They were ahead of us for 4 and level for 1
We've been ahead of them for 18 games on the trot until the arbitrary end of the season with 9 games left for us to play and they should go up?
They're ahead of us now by virtue of having played one game less than us where they could well have dropped points.

Yeah right.

Last edited:

denzel

Anyway, Cheltenham might not be able to start the season https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52583980