• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just how should we finish the season?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst I want the season ended I cannot see how it can be done safely and have begun to think that just cancelling the season as it stands with no promotion or relegation between Champ 1 and 2. So the results, goals etc. count but we haven't finished the season. It is not going to happen. The most important part now Is to work out how to get next season going and ensuring we have a football club to support this time next year and praying Ollie Watkins goes in the summer for £20m plus. Or even Ethan for £20m plus.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if the club have discussed the possibility of selling the sell on clause for Ethan early. If you assume he's worth £20m now that would be £3.6m for us here and now. Just a thought. Or selling half the clause for £1.8m?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
PPG and weighting towards home or away games fails to take into account the quality of opponents or that every season there’s at least one team that either has a miraculous run of form or their form falls through the floor. Currently the only truly fair way to decide the season is not to decide it all and declare it null and void.

The only way PPG and weighting would be fair would be if we were told at the start of each season that that’s how a season would be decided in the eventuality of it not being able to be completed, everyone would know exactly where they stood at any point during the season.

’Promoting’ Cheltenham to fourth above us and thus sending them up does not take into account play-offs and that merely being fourth or seventh is no guarantee whatsoever of progression through the play-offs.

Not that I’m bothered (although I’d be delighted if we were promoted), I think in the current climate with it still not known whether next season will commence behind locked doors or not I don’t think we have anywhere the finances to be able to support a League One team so perhaps in the long run it might be better for us not to be promoted for a season or two yet.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
PPG and weighting towards home or away games fails to take into account the quality of opponents or that every season there’s at least one team that either has a miraculous run of form or their form falls through the floor. Currently the only truly fair way to decide the season is not to decide it all and declare it null and void.

The only way PPG and weighting would be fair would be if we were told at the start of each season that that’s how a season would be decided in the eventuality of it not being able to be completed, everyone would know exactly where they stood at any point during the season.

’Promoting’ Cheltenham to fourth above us and thus sending them up does not take into account play-offs and that merely being fourth or seventh is no guarantee whatsoever of progression through the play-offs.

Not that I’m bothered (although I’d be delighted if we were promoted), I think in the current climate with it still not known whether next season will commence behind locked doors or not I don’t think we have anywhere the finances to be able to support a League One team so perhaps in the long run it might be better for us not to be promoted for a season or two yet.
Either we play (In front of fans or not in front of fans) or we cancel. All other options aren't workable for feasible for many many reasons. Agree 110% with your point on quality of opposition, amount of home and away games left / played.

Also how do we know we won't win all 9 matches with the 3 above slipping and we take the league etc. etc. etc.

For me I cannot see how option 1 / 2 (Playing with or without fans) can happen safely. We have to work out how we get next season going in a way that clubs can survive

Grecian2K

Of course, we still would have both the Scum & Cheatingham to play (albeit both away)….so, regardless of current ppg our future (and theirs) would be still in OUR hands!

LOG

PPG is only a slightly less blunt instrument than finishing the season now and promoting/relegating sides based on where they are. If you just look at the form table, for example, over the last six games it's:

Crewe
Cheltenham
Port Vale
Walsall
Salford
Swindon
City

Compared to the actual table of:

Crewe
Swindon
Argyle
City
Cheltenham
Colchester
Northampton

StudentGrecian

I don’t think we have anywhere the finances to be able to support a League One team so perhaps in the long run it might be better for us not to be promoted for a season or two yet.
I’d have thought it would have probably been our best chance at financing a League One side, considering most of them will be looking to significantly reduce their wage bills next season.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's on a normal calculation without home and away taken into separate consideration.

City have 2.05 points per home game, 1.47 away.

Cheltenham have 2.1 home, 1.4 away.

If my maths is right then taken like this, City's average is 1.76; Cheltenham's is 1.75.

Obviously this doesn't take into account weighting but this would put us above them if they do split it like this.
Alas, your maths isn't correct. :-(

City have 37 points from 18 home games, ie 2.06 points per game x 23 = 47.28; and 28 points from 19 away games, ie 1.47 x 23 = 33.89, making a total of 81.17.

Cheltenham have 38 points from 18 home games, ie 2.11 points per game x 23 = 48.56; and 26 points from 18 away games, ie 1.44 x 23 = 33.22, making a total of 81.78.

DB9

I’d have thought it would have probably been our best chance at financing a League One side, considering most of them will be looking to significantly reduce their wage bills next season.
As we will have to as well, It is all relative to each club, We won't be immune for any cost cutting measures. We'd still be a small club in L1 and compared to others a small budget. Ant is right, The best and fair way is to null and void the season.

StudentGrecian

As we will have to as well, It is all relative to each club, We won't be immune for any cost cutting measures. We'd still be a small club in L1 and compared to others a small budget
Of course, we were always going to be have a small budget for League One if promoted normally. But imo, with less money in the league than there would have been, we’d have more of a chance at making it work than if all the clubs were still free spending, .