• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I've finished university!

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
To what end Hermann? Is there a point to your Phd - in that is it specifically for a career path you wish to take - or is it just another set of letters after your name?
Most likely to pursue a career in lecturing and research. I have a strong interest in my subject, so having tried out other jobs I think I would be best suited to a career in this field.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've got a friend doing a PhD. He's 35 and has never done a proper days work in his life.

Poultice

Arts, humanities and media will get you a 12k loan repayment.
I don't normally bother with Nonny's drivel but on this occasion I feel I should point out to prospective students that a higher proportion of media studies graduates go straight into a relevant job than any other subject.

One I know is 28 and makes 50k a year for being nice to the girls who get their kit off for Television X, whilst running them around to "parties".

finetime

Snakebite

I've got a few friends who graduated with aero/mechanical engineering at Sheffield and now work in industry. One did a PhD, the others didn't and it has made no discernable difference.

One works here http://www.amrc.co.uk/about/index.php I can put you in contact if you have a any questions (they are always recruiting for talented people) for him you can pm me :)

Last edited:

angelic upstart

Ere Finetime, do you know anyone that works in finance in Sheffield? I have just finished a degree in that and am looking for work :)

finetime

As for PhDs - unless you are passionate about the subject/area I'd say don't bother.

Get working and earning! You will learn more in a work environment skills-wise, guaranteed.

finetime

Ere Finetime, do you know anyone that works in finance in Sheffield? I have just finished a degree in that and am looking for work :)
Move to London and get a job on the bottom rung like everyone else who didn't go to the right school/university

;)

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
As for PhDs - unless you are passionate about the subject/area I'd say don't bother.

Get working and earning! You will learn more in a work environment skills-wise, guaranteed.
That's what I thought, but I've discovered I'm not really interested in doing anything else. If I wasn't passionate about the subject I certainly wouldn't be bothering. I'd rather have to rack up another 5 years worth of debt to do something I enjoy doing than spend my life doing a job I don't like.

hatch4england

I am starting a PhD at 55 just for the sheer joy of doing something 'proper' and academic again after a long (and continuing) career in business. It isn't about anything other than the fun of it. . Certainly not something to do if you want an enhanced career path! Academics earn rubbish money, but have great pensions. I have always had the learning bug - If you enjoy it, do it. If not, don't. However, if it is for your career, don't mess about: it's Russell Group or nothing. If I get bored, I'll bail out with an MPhil and study something else in my spare time. I have studied 2 languages, anthropology, history and physics informally since I did my MSc. It is my relaxation.

I was going to do one in 1976, but the Science Research Council tugged my grant money at the last minute, so I had to go get a real job. Wasn't happy at the time but it turned out to be a real stroke of luck.

PS The worst degreee on God's earth is a bad MBA.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah basically the only reason to do a PhD is if you want to get into research or private sector R&D, other than that there are very few jobs which require a doctorate. Quite a few require a masters though if its a specific field.
If the only thing you're interested in doing is the subject you're studying you will most likely naturally end up doing a PhD and going into research. My mate has a doctorate from oxford in atomsmashing, if he wanted to he could walk into a 6 figure salary in london or whatever but he would rather get paid less money doing research in oxford. he gets a sh*t load of freebies though which kind of make up for it, free 3 course meals, tax free income etc etc. people like him will never leave uni, they will gradually work their way up through their respective departments and end up becoming one of the old dons who's 30kg textbook everyone has to buy at the start of their undergraduate courses.

Last edited: