• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Investment/takeover

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nothing good will come of Bristol rovers takeover in the long term. Mark my words.

The only people who will ever care about this club are the city fans themselves. Therefore it is obvious that the city fans should be the owners of the club. We have no ulterior motive unlike any potential sugar daddy.
Disagree. At least give the fans the facts about any potential suitor.

I find it hard to believe that in the ten years the trust has been in charge that no outside investor has made serious enquiries. They are obviously getting filtered out by someone or the board.

DB9

And there's the rub. Where exactly do we want to go? We could probably get into the Champion's League with a middle eastern owner with bottomless pockets, but I certainly wouldn't be interested in that.
Being realistic, those with lofty ambitions for Exeter City would probably be better off switching to Manchester City.....
Personally, I'm looking forward to visiting Crawley on Easter Monday!
UTC
Can't just dismiss peoples ambitions for City out of hand saying that, All City fans know that perhaps consolidating in L1 an maybe a flirt with the Championship would be a dream but its worth dreaming about

dontpassback

The fact that city don't own the ground makes it one of the less attractive options for any investor,but as alluded to in other posts,the grimes/fa cup money won't last forever,and should we be borrowing from the pfa or whoever,then the trust might be in a position where its Hobson's choice! I hope it doesn't come to that but is the club being run to its full efficiency, only time will tell.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Disagree. At least give the fans the facts about any potential suitor.

I find it hard to believe that in the ten years the trust has been in charge that no outside investor has made serious enquiries. They are obviously getting filtered out by someone or the board.
What do you disagree with Denzel? Also it's not "obvious" that someone is filtering enquiries.

I think if someone turned up at the club with a serious investment plan and commitment to injecting millions per year we would (a) be told about it and (b) have to think "why are they offering to do this?".

I'm afraid that in the business world nobody does stuff for free, there is always an ulterior motive or some pay day at the end of the line. Things may look amazing upfront but at the end of it everyone will get their pound of flesh. Otherwise why bother? Pop quiz: Do you think Roman Abramovich is a (1) pure altruist or a (2) manipulative ex-KGB oligarch trying to launder money. Answers on a postcard.

dontpassback

What do you disagree with Denzel? Also it's not "obvious" that someone is filtering enquiries.

I think if someone turned up at the club with a serious investment plan and commitment to injecting millions per year we would (a) be told about it and (b) have to think "why are they offering to do this?".

I'm afraid that in the business world nobody does stuff for free, there is always an ulterior motive or some pay day at the end of the line. Things may look amazing upfront but at the end of it everyone will get their pound of flesh. Otherwise why bother? Pop quiz: Do you think Roman Abramovich is a (1) pure altruist or a (2) manipulative ex-KGB oligarch trying to launder money. Answers on a postcard.
I would say after the Russell/lewis fiasco anyone who offers to buy the club would be looked at long and hard by the trust !after all people have long memories and we don't want to go there again

Alistair20000

As the Trust is represented on the Club Board by 4 Trustees it is inconceivable that the Trust would be unaware of any approach to buy the Club or of an "investor" wanting to put money in.

It is also inconceivable that the Trust would fail to communicate with the Trust membership on matters such as this. Rule 3.6 requires the Trust to "communicate appropriately" with its Members and this would be a matter of fundamental importance to the very reason why the Trust exists.

I agree with others who have posted that no serious investor would be interested in ECFC and there are obvious risks in being the plaything of an owner wanting a boy's toy.

supernova

What makes you think that the Trust are looking for a 'potential millionaire investor' of any sort, be it with or without giving them a majority share?

I'd always understood the whole ethos of the trust model was based around the fan/community ownership, so surely a polite but firm 'no thank you' reply to your friend making such an enquiry is completely predictable & consistent.

Not sure where the suggestion of Trust 'delusion' cones into it?
Well the person I spoke to at the Trust said the club would not be considering relingqueshing its majority share hold anytime soon and that's fine, but that particular person did then add that if anyone wanted to put a vast amount of money in to the club, the Trust wouldn't say no- which is deluded on the part of the directors etc as it's pretty bloody obvious by now after nearly 13 of years of Trust ownership that there is no-one interested in simply giving the club vast swathes of cash. It would have happened by now

It's hardly an attractive proposition is it to an outsider who see's the club as a potential business opportunity, pumping in the cash without even owning the majority of the club. But people upstairs at City think that they'll find someone who's willing to do that. Dream on

malcolms

Well the person I spoke to at the Trust said the club would not be considering relingqueshing its majority share hold anytime soon and that's fine, but that particular person did then add that if anyone wanted to put a vast amount of money in to the club, the Trust wouldn't say no- which is deluded on the part of the directors etc as it's pretty bloody obvious by now after nearly 13 of years of Trust ownership that there is no-one interested in simply giving the club vast swathes of cash. It would have happened by now

It's hardly an attractive proposition is it to an outsider who see's the club as a potential business opportunity, pumping in the cash without even owning the majority of the club. But people upstairs at City think that they'll find someone who's willing to do that. Dream on
Deluded....Trust Directors.....like oranges and lemons, they go comfortably together....

LOG

How is saying they'd happily accept a load of money for presumably nothing in return deluded? How also does it equate to them thinking that it's going to happen?

fred binneys head

To be fair to them, I doubt they are expecting it to happen so I wouldn't say they were deluded, they are just saying the only way to put significant sums of money into the club is through the trust.