• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Investment/takeover

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure I totally agree...Although, as I said earlier, no lower league club is likely to be a "cash cow" it is possible to run Exeter City at a profit and be successful. The dead hand of trust ownership may have ensured survival (with the assistance of the Man United draw) but it is unsuited to take the club forward in it's current format. The German supporter ownership model works because it acknowledges the role that outsiders can play and doesn't treat it like some "capitalist plot" that seeks to destroy the fabric of the football club...

hatch4england

The last 2 posts put the position well. The club could possibly be run profitably as Malc points out...although it still isn't going to make anyone's list of great investment opportunities. It won't be under the 'dead hand' of the Trust of course.

As Mackster points out, those most likely to be of use in provision of financial and expertise support have probably given up on the Trust already. I certainly know several who have.

All of which is great news for the current ruling cadre and bad news for the future of the club.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nothing good will come of Bristol rovers takeover in the long term. Mark my words.

The only people who will ever care about this club are the city fans themselves. Therefore it is obvious that the city fans should be the owners of the club. We have no ulterior motive unlike any potential sugar daddy.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also hatch, there are plenty of professional city fans. The problem is most of us who would like to devote time to running the club have full time professional occupations to hold down. Need to retire first....

PeteUSA

After the R&L affair, The Trust isn't going to release any grip on the club.
Ian, I dont think the trust board has as much control over things as you indicate, and would suggest that the club board has over time arrived at a position where they can do whatever they like. It strikes me that there's been a total reversal of the way things were meant to work; a position probably accelerated by Conway, running from one board to another and back.

DB9

Nothing good will come of Bristol rovers takeover in the long term. Mark my words.

The only people who will ever care about this club are the city fans themselves. Therefore it is obvious that the city fans should be the owners of the club. We have no ulterior motive unlike any potential sugar daddy.
A noble sentiment Anon but as a fans owned club we have very little money, No decent credit an always live hand to mouth every season hoping for a gem to be sold or a decent cup run with possible TV money. To go as high as we possibly can (Which surely we all agree) As a Trust we have neither the financial clout to make a sustained go at it nor will we ever

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
A noble sentiment Anon but as a fans owned club we have very little money, No decent credit an always live hand to mouth every season hoping for a gem to be sold or a decent cup run with possible TV money. To go as high as we possibly can (Which surely we all agree) As a Trust we have neither the financial clout to make a sustained go at it nor will we ever
Unless we significantly grow the fanbase. Which should be our number 1 priority.

DB9

Unless we significantly grow the fanbase. Which should be our number 1 priority.
Unfortunately that will not happen unless we move up the leagues an sustain that position, Not to yo-yo between the bottom two divisions an IMHO that will not happen unless we got some serious outside investment. The Trust was there in our hour of need, Calmed the waters but lets not forget it could have gone horribly wrong if the 64 ball had not been pulled out of the FA Cup draw. Remember the "Red or Dead" scheme? Because our fan base is very small we would never had raised the money needed to satisfy the terms of the CVA an we would not be here today. I've never been a great fan of the Trust an i do think nowadays it seems like a few people are very happy in their comfort zone or "Positions of Power" Complacency seems to have set in an i think we need fresh, new blood to steer the club forward

grecIAN Harris

Ian, I dont think the trust board has as much control over things as you indicate, and would suggest that the club board has over time arrived at a position where they can do whatever they like. It strikes me that there's been a total reversal of the way things were meant to work; a position probably accelerated by Conway, running from one board to another and back.
Who owns the shares? The Trust or The Board? Correct me where I'm wrong by all means but there isn't anybody on the board who owns shares in the club whereas the The Trust has Dobles shares and Doble was the majority shareholder. Therefore whilst The Board might be running the club The Trust has the ability to fire them and has the greater power just a lack of nous as to how to use it.

eurogrecian

P To go as high as we possibly can (Which surely we all agree)
And there's the rub. Where exactly do we want to go? We could probably get into the Champion's League with a middle eastern owner with bottomless pockets, but I certainly wouldn't be interested in that.
Being realistic, those with lofty ambitions for Exeter City would probably be better off switching to Manchester City.....
Personally, I'm looking forward to visiting Crawley on Easter Monday!
UTC