• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

Much as I hate Trump he did say that Americans shouldn't fight foreign wars and made a point of that, He never ordered any troops in during his time in office, Biden I think is more "Dangerous" imo because I'm very uncomfortable with his state of mind and comes across as doddery and a bit confused.
Seems to me China and Russia both "Respect" strong leaders and are more aware of them, Just my opinion.
I suppose it depends on the definition of 'strength' and whether just shouting loudly and threatening things is the way to get things done in life or not. I don't deny that it has its effectiveness of a kind - but don't believe that the USA as a nation gains anything from having such an individual in charge, but loses - and is losing - a great deal.

Is Biden the answer? Probably not. But I can't even think of a question where Trump as leader is the answer.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I suppose it depends on the definition of 'strength' and whether just shouting loudly and threatening things is the way to get things done in life or not. I don't deny that it has its effectiveness of a kind - but don't believe that the USA as a nation gains anything from having such an individual in charge, but loses - and is losing - a great deal.

Is Biden the answer? Probably not. But I can't even think of a question where Trump as leader is the answer.
Whether its the way things should be done i don't know but people like Putin, Xi and even Jong they seem to respond to "Strong Leaders" Many Journalists who have interviewed these type of autocratic leaders say this, They are vain people and have a knack of finding a weakspot in other leaders. You have to re-read what i said, I never condoned Trump's leadership, To me it was awful and the way it ended was just ugh!! but he did do well meeting in N Korea after calling Jong "Little Rocket Man" and did have a sort of relationship with Putin, Biden to me is not coming across well on the international stage, He appears to be confused and does not fill me with confidence, I can't see him seeking re-election, I hope in 2024 the next Presidential Contest will be between two new people and neither Biden or Trump will get their party's nomination.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
For all his many (many) faults, the Trump presidency in terms of foreign affairs was something of a triumph - no new wars, a de-escalation in Korea, the Abraham Accords.

Less than two years later we have the situation in Russia/Ukraine, the imminent (hopefully not) invasion of Taiwan by China, the botched withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan (yes, Trump had committed to it but I'm sure it may have been delayed and/or at least handled properly had he still been in charge), the escalation once again of tensions in the Middle East (pretty much the day the US "infrastructure" cheque to Palestine cleared).

In the meantime Biden effectively shut down energy production in the US meaning they became beholden to other parties.

Forgive me if I don't exactly give the Biden administration anything other than a slow handclap.

Mr Jinx

I guess, if the bookies are to be believed, it won't be too long until we find out. If it's Trump v Biden for the 2024 ticket, I'm pretty convinced it'll be a shoe in. It'll be interesting to see what DeSantis has to say about that in the meantime and I'd be surprised if there weren't soon manoeuvres at the DNC end.

Back to the definition of strength, I guess World Politics is not much different to the school playground, the prison yard or most company boardrooms around the world. The bullies usually win out and rule the roost.

With an inept and weak leader in Biden in situ, other major players and now flexing their muscles. And we are where we are. The more Russia & China grow in strength, the higher the likelihood of a return of Trump.

I guess, if the bookies are to be believed, it won't be too long until we find out. If it's Trump v Biden for the 2024 ticket, I'm pretty convinced it'll be a shoe in. It'll be interesting to see what DeSantis has to say about that in the meantime and I'd be surprised if there weren't soon manoeuvres at the DNC end.

Back to the definition of strength, I guess World Politics is not much different to the school playground, the prison yard or most company boardrooms around the world. The bullies usually win out and rule the roost.

With an inept and weak leader in Biden in situ, other major players and now flexing their muscles. And we are where we are. The more Russia & China grow in strength, the higher the likelihood of a return of Trump.
I don't disagree with a lot of that, depressing though it may be.

Basically any Democrat candidate would have won in 2020, so Biden, who was never an inspiring choice, got the gig. Normally it's about the charisma, the presence, the telegenecity (if that's a word), this time the bar was so low that being a functional human being was enough...

Whether its the way things should be done i don't know but people like Putin, Xi and even Jong they seem to respond to "Strong Leaders" Many Journalists who have interviewed these type of autocratic leaders say this, They are vain people and have a knack of finding a weakspot in other leaders. You have to re-read what i said, I never condoned Trump's leadership, To me it was awful and the way it ended was just ugh!! but he did do well meeting in N Korea after calling Jong "Little Rocket Man" and did have a sort of relationship with Putin, Biden to me is not coming across well on the international stage, He appears to be confused and does not fill me with confidence, I can't see him seeking re-election, I hope in 2024 the next Presidential Contest will be between two new people and neither Biden or Trump will get their party's nomination.
Just to clarify DB9, I didn't mean to suggest you condoned his behaviour. I just think that 'strongman' leadership is bandied about a lot as a justification and it's all a bit of a shame in my view.

Phil Sayers

Should be noted that Biden did not want Pelosi to undertake this trip and publicly stated "The military do not think it is a good idea at this time".

As for Trump's reported 'toughness' striking fear into authoritarians I cannot be only the only one who remembers this pathetic fawning disgrace?

A couple of people have mentioned his meeting with Lil Kim as being a success - in what way please? I just remember him flattering a nutcase, musing about beach development and generally just being a clueless *****. Kim said 'thank you for the flattery - I'll get back to developing weapons now.'

DB9

Should be noted that Biden did not want Pelosi to undertake this trip and publicly stated "The military do not think it is a good idea at this time".

As for Trump's reported 'toughness' striking fear into authoritarians I cannot be only the only one who remembers this pathetic fawning disgrace?

A couple of people have mentioned his meeting with Lil Kim as being a success - in what way please? I just remember him flattering a nutcase, musing about beach development and generally just being a clueless *****. Kim said 'thank you for the flattery - I'll get back to developing weapons now.'
The "Success" was actually talking face to face after the retoric via TV, Seems a very long time ago now.

Phil Sayers

The "Success" was actually talking face to face after the retoric via TV, Seems a very long time ago now.
It's not a success if it doesn't actually achieve anything aside from granting legitimacy to a horrendous regime.

DB9

It's not a success if it doesn't actually achieve anything aside from granting legitimacy to a horrendous regime.
No, But as Churchill (And I'm not comparing him to Trump) once said, Jaw, Jaw is better than War, War.