• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, But as Churchill (And I'm not comparing him to Trump) once said, Jaw, Jaw is better than War, War.
While this is true I hardly think Trump should be credited for getting in a needless spat with someone and then not fighting a war over the needless spat. Meanwhile, there are serious issues that need addressing with regards North Korea (although I have not a clue how) and Trump's meeting solved none of them.

fred binneys head

I’m with Phil on this, I didn’t see anything from Trump that could be described as a success in terms of foreign policy - his jaunt to North Korea was for Trump’s ego and no other reason, he achieved nothing of substance and actually emboldened Kim Jong Un (as was said at the time not just in hindsight), his tariff spat with China pushed the two countries further apart, his sucking up to Putin emboldened him also and look what’s happened since in Ukraine, he didn’t deliver any sort of trade deal with the UK and he shit on Mexico from a great height.

He was as skilled at foreign policy as Boris.

DB9

Well that's my view and tbh Biden and Pelosi are doing nothing for international relations, I have no idea on the future but to me the US need two totally different and younger people to go for 2024.

Phil Sayers

Some interesting goings on in the water near Crimea (not previously believed to be within range) - awaiting further detail but looks like Ukraine may have done serious damage to another Russian warship:

Mr Jinx

I don't disagree with a lot of that, depressing though it may be.

Basically any Democrat candidate would have won in 2020, so Biden, who was never an inspiring choice, got the gig. Normally it's about the charisma, the presence, the telegenecity (if that's a word), this time the bar was so low that being a functional human being was enough...
Mmm...not so. Trump would've thrashed Bernie. Biden just seemed the most non offensive, and even then it was close run thing.

DB9

Mmm...not so. Trump would've thrashed Bernie. Biden just seemed the most non offensive, and even then it was close run thing.
Bernie is the US equivilent of Corbyn, An annoying itch to the Democrats and would never win the nomination to run (Sadly unlike here when Corbyn was given a chance)

Alistair20000

Can't really disagree with any of that.

But is it better to have an unhinged, scary although mostly bombastic, Leader of the Free world (that everyone's a little bit scared of) and world that is functioning ok to some degree? Or a senile bumbling old duffer who's pretty harmless as US President while the world goes to hell in a handcart?

Answers on a postcard please.
Arguably Biden is dangerous rather than harmless as his utterly useless presidency staggers on.

Mr Jinx

Bernie is the US equivilent of Corbyn, An annoying itch to the Democrats and would never win the nomination to run (Sadly unlike here when Corbyn was given a chance)
The nominations 2015 going into 2016 were rigged for Clinton. Bernie nearly did it.

DB9

The nominations 2015 going into 2016 were rigged for Clinton. Bernie nearly did it.
Of course they were. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Next thing you'll say that Alex Jones was right about Sandy Hook!

Last edited:

iscalad

Thanks Donald