• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Kite

Simba3011

I’m remaining sanguine about the youth set up etc. GC has a style of play he sticks to, I don’t like what I’ve seen of it so far but he appears to be here to stay.

This style will have to be implemented in the academy, the current lads won’t have had that ingrained in them, they’ll have to adapt or they’ll be released.

I feel for Kite but he’s obviously not a GC type midfielder. He’s tried the lad at right back with no success so I guess that’s that.

Richards is only 16 and I think the first team action he’s had is for two reasons. 1. To see how he copes in the man’s game and 2. to ensure a potential raid by a higher level club is more likely to provide us with a decent fee either agreed or by tribunal.

Borges and Beardmore I wouldn’t write off, they’ll be in the pot of players who maybe need to adapt to prove they’d be an asset in a GC style set up.

It’s obvious GC is rigid with his style which can be evidenced by the type of players he’s personally brought into the club.
Agree that GC is going nowhere so our young lads have to adapt and embrace the style.

My worry is if senior league one pros are struggling to play the style, how will our academy prospects be able to adapt?

I remain optimistic about this crop of players too but I think GC hasn't shown great evidence of his ability to improve young players. Under his management players brought into the first team either haven't really improved since he came in (White/Harris) or have been deemed not good enough for his style (Kite/Sparkes). It is becoming a bit of a trend that good footballers who could do a job for us/garner a fee are leaving on a free with meh recruitment to replace them.

Obviously we don't see what goes on on the training ground but signing Woods meaning our three young midfielders likely won't get experience for us until next season is something I think could've been avoided. I'm not sure he can mould this group of young pros to fit his style as it is quite difficult to play and I worry that he is favouring his style over the development of future sellable assets as we could have up to 5 academy players leaving on a free this summer for nothing/minimal tribunals.

JGrecian23

Good deflection attempt my son but as you know even the ones who start off in youth football get sacked and then the journeyman career starts. Unless you are suggesting that none of your list are ever going to get sacked .........
Are you ******? You are spouting absolute jibberish. You ask me a question, I answer it with countless examples and you say I'm deflecting.

I forgot Exeweb is like a full-time job trying to converse with clowns all day. Back to work I think.

Average Joe

I forgot Exeweb is like a full-time job trying to converse with clowns all day. Back to work I think.
This guy knows! SaintJames rubbing people up the wrong way again.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are you ******? You are spouting absolute jibberish. You ask me a question, I answer it with countless examples and you say I'm deflecting.

JGrecian......... stood in front of a mirror again.🫣

AmberRed

I don’t buy into this “Caldwell isn't interested in our youth/academy players”
Frankly the suggestion is laughable.
He has on several occasions said that the Academy is the basis on which the club goes forward. When he was employed he knew this.
The fact is,the current youth/academy players are not league 1 standard.
I am not a big fan of Caldwell, but it aint his fault we haven't got a Collins /Key in the current set up.
So, just because he's said it on several occasions means it must be true 😂😂 now that's laughable! All the first year scholars are 'professionals', there are only 2 of that age group that train with the first team, the rest aren't.

red1

So, just because he's said it on several occasions means it must be true 😂😂 now that's laughable! All the first year scholars are 'professionals', there are only 2 of that age group that train with the first team, the rest aren't.
Why is that then?? 🤦🏻
Is it possible they aren't up to the task or do you think Caldwell doesn't want success for the Academy ??

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
So it was none you said yesterday training with the first team. Today you revise it to two so I cant wait to see what you change it to tomorrow :love:

Mid Devon Grecian

Agree that GC is going nowhere so our young lads have to adapt and embrace the style.

My worry is if senior league one pros are struggling to play the style, how will our academy prospects be able to adapt?

I remain optimistic about this crop of players too but I think GC hasn't shown great evidence of his ability to improve young players. Under his management players brought into the first team either haven't really improved since he came in (White/Harris) or have been deemed not good enough for his style (Kite/Sparkes). It is becoming a bit of a trend that good footballers who could do a job for us/garner a fee are leaving on a free with meh recruitment to replace them.

Obviously we don't see what goes on on the training ground but signing Woods meaning our three young midfielders likely won't get experience for us until next season is something I think could've been avoided. I'm not sure he can mould this group of young pros to fit his style as it is quite difficult to play and I worry that he is favouring his style over the development of future sellable assets as we could have up to 5 academy players leaving on a free this summer for nothing/minimal tribunals.
The main problem is he’s trying implement a Rolls Royce system mainly using Skoda’s. The odd player like Carroll, Woods and Cole could probably turn it on if they were sandwiched between Van Dijk’s Stones’ and Kane’s and Watkins’.

Maybe he can breed a new crop of academy stars who can play this way but it would take years.

I just don’t think this system works in Lg1. Maybe top half of Champ and Prem it’s possible but IMO we’re on a hiding to nothing persevering with the style and the manager if he won’t show flexibility.

Simba3011

The main problem is he’s trying implement a Rolls Royce system mainly using Skoda’s. The odd player like Carroll, Woods and Cole could probably turn it on if they were sandwiched between Van Dijk’s Stones’ and Kane’s and Watkins’.

Maybe he can breed a new crop of academy stars who can play this way but it would take years.

I just don’t think this system works in Lg1. Maybe top half of Champ and Prem it’s possible but IMO we’re on a hiding to nothing persevering with the style and the manager if he won’t show flexibility.
And by the time this happens it's unlikely he'll still be here so I don't know how many academy graduates we'll be seeing at the same unless something changes with the style

AmberRed

So it was none you said yesterday training with the first team. Today you revise it to two so I cant wait to see what you change it to tomorrow :love:
The 2 that are training have been part of the first team for years and I'm sure you know who they are, so wouldn't class them as the same aa the rest! All the others are not training! He's not interested in our youth at all and that's a fact.