• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Kite

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Love the way we have years and years of playing shit load of kids and then Caldwell comes in and it's suddenly we don't have any kids to play.

Convenient for some poor journeyman manager isn't it.
aren't all managers journeymen with the honourble exceptions of Tiz and Wenger

ryancooper327

Love the way we have years and years of playing shit load of kids and then Caldwell comes in and it's suddenly we don't have any kids to play.

Convenient for some poor journeyman manager isn't it.
Ok, what kids have you watched extensively that you’ll put in the first XI, and over who?

JGrecian23

Ok, what kids have you watched extensively that you’ll put in the first XI, and over who?
Ah good. You can't beat the old "who would you play" argument. Same as the "who would replace Caldwell" argument.

I forgot it was my job to extensively watch all the players at different age levels throughout the club and try to integrate them into the first team.

There was me thinking I was just a random supporter expressing an opinion on an internet forum.

JGrecian23

aren't all managers journeymen with the honourble exceptions of Tiz and Wenger
No. Next....

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
There’s obviously a natural, if slightly concerning dip in quality in the academy output atm. Said it before that we have a very narrow model, which I know they’re trying to address. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was brought up as a reason why we’re back in League 2 in a year or so time.

I don’t particularly blame Caldwell for this. That being said I don’t think he gets the best out of players in general, let alone academy graduates. Very few have improved this season, Cole perhaps being the stand out.

ryancooper327

Ah good. You can't beat the old "who would you play" argument. Same as the "who would replace Caldwell" argument.

I forgot it was my job to extensively watch all the players at different age levels throughout the club and try to integrate them into the first team.

There was me thinking I was just a random supporter expressing an opinion on an internet forum.
Well I’m no GC fan but if there are not ‘kids’ at the level required he can’t play them!

Imagine repeats of the EFL trophy games every week, we’d be dead bottom.

I’d love to see academy players break through as much as the next, but we won’t have players coming in every season - especially in L1.

If we stay up, I’d imagine we’ll see more minutes to academy players next season as they develop/improve and we have big ol’ gaps to fill.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
No. Next....
in what way

supernova

To be fair mate you’re having a pop yet you don’t know your onions about whether or not our current youth coming through are good enough to cut it at League One level.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't expect a response with any rational explantion when you can just throw random nonsense out into the open. The idea that we are suppressing countless young players from their first team place is laughable. We saw with our own eyes the vast gulf between our kids and Reading's but yea just thrown them in and get tonked every game

supernova

I think we’ve been incredibly fortunate to have had such an amazing crop of young players come through the ranks in the last decade or so. Unfortunately, just like at Premiership clubs, sometimes there is a lull in that supply chain

I’m sure Argyle felt the same after their one good youth player in the last 30 years got sold to Everton or whoever it was and was never replaced…. We have been absolutely blessed