• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Kite

Mid Devon Grecian

That is what I thought about Pompey this year, they made some real average looking signings from the outside in the summer. Clearly they haven't proven to be average. It's all about the squad as whole and you need solid pros like Hartridge and Kite in these squads, even if they aren't starting every game.
The issue at hand though is that these lads have been relatively unspectacular in our team in Lg1 so is it really attractive for them to effectively move sideways an hour and a half up the road?

Might suit Rovers but can’t see how it benefits the players. At their age if they have ambition they need to go somewhere they have a starting role.

Beexfor

The issue at hand though is that these lads have been relatively unspectacular in our team in Lg1 so is it really attractive for them to effectively move sideways an hour and a half up the road?

Might suit Rovers but can’t see how it benefits the players. At their age if they have ambition they need to go somewhere they have a starting role.
They are squad players here, and if they remained with us it would be exactly the same next season probably. Not surprising that a new start is what they want at a club that will in all likelihood give them a larger signing on fee and squad type player wages over the next 2-3 years and a fresh chance to progress/ get more regular football.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
This. The published figures must include coaching and non-footballing staff (our players wages bill cannot be anywhere near £5M, and our management costs are not high).

Clubs presumably still have to report their P1 (players wages) line to the EFL every 6 months and are then told their ranking compared to the others in their division but no actual figures. Under the old SCMP regime L1 clubs were supposed to spend 60% or less of their "qualifying turnover" on P1. Many must be exceeding this by a large margin, but we don't hear of any sanctions.
If our total wage bill is £4.940M and average weekly wage is £2,058, then my arithmetic is: £2058 x 52 = average of £107K pa. £4.940M / £107K = 46 staff (Academy staff and players are not included in Club figures) .

Is £2K pw realistic for our average wages?

StudentGrecian

To move to a side managed by someone they know well, have played their best football under and has given them plenty of minutes in the past. No, makes no sense for them at all....

They are professionals and will back themselves to succeed, they won't be entering it in the mindset they cannot be League 1 starters for Bristol Rovers. They might not prove themselves, but I don't think it shows a lack of ambition.

Last edited:

Mid Devon Grecian

To move to a side managed by someone they know well, have played their best football under and has given them plenty of minutes in the past. No, makes no sense for them at all....

They are professionals and will back themselves to succeed, they won't be entering it in the mindset they cannot be League 1 starters for Bristol Rovers. They might not prove themselves, but I don't think it shows a lack of ambition.
Just feels a bit safe to me. I think Alex especially fancies a move to take him out of his comfort zone.

IMO Harry could be a good high end Lg2 midfield engine room player somewhere like Chesterfield who are on a roll.

My point is they are ambitious but to show that sometimes you need to take a step backwards to move forward.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster

Alex Hartridge started 42 League One games last season in a side that finished higher than Bristol Rovers currently are.

Grecianpasty

Kite and Hartridge would be good squad players for any league one team. The club where right to offer them both contracts, but considering how both players have not been first team squad players, it's understandable they would want to move on. Rovers would be a good step for both of them, provided they better the success they has here. If not, either player could end up with a Moore-Taylor like career, floating around in the football league.

Mid Devon Grecian

Alex Hartridge started 42 League One games last season in a side that finished higher than Bristol Rovers currently are.
How has he done this season in a GC possession based style?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Harry Kite reflects in his time with City

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know the 'proper chaps' ethos has suffered some mickey taking at times but Harry is an absolute shining example of that philosophy.

Great interview.