• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Good luck to Matt Grimes

Swans

I started watching the Grecians in 1981 - I'd say he's the best homegrown player we've ever produced in that time, and quite possibly the best player I've ever seen in a City shirt.
Good to hear ...... I started following Swansea in 82 so had a few visits to St James park over the years ......your floodlights last 90 mins these days :)

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Guess you think we have signed a decent player ?
Very decent player at League 2 level, potentially, see no reason why he couldn't make the huge step up, if handled right.

Antony Moxey

Good to hear ...... I started following Swansea in 82 so had a few visits to St James park over the years ......your floodlights last 90 mins these days :)
Haha I remember both those games! Thought we got a lifeline in the first one, got a proper hammering in the second! Just look after Grimes - don't push him too hard too soon and you'll have yourselves a proper bargain.

Grecian2K

This thread must be linked somewhere up the Swans Lake way, 200 visitors have suddenly appeared.

If you're reading this 'Desperate Davies', keep us informed of progress, old pal ?
Ah, good old "Dangerous"!!! A valuable source of support and intell during our darkest of days - if you are reading please pop back and say hi!

And Swans - only time will tell if he can quite cut the mustard at Prem level but I reckon you've got yourself a good talent there who (most of all) seems a level headed young man. I'm sure he'll give your lot every bit of the 100% he always gave us. And dare I suggest that a club like Swansea might be the best kind of environment and opportunity for him to develop in?

elginCity

Ah, good old "Dangerous"!!!
Thanks, G2K, your memory is better than mi...

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You just can't help but be so happy for the lad.

Seeing a homegrown talent get a dream move to the Prem is such an incredible feeling. I have no doubt he'll make it big there.

Best of luck Matt. You've been brilliant.

Hi ... Swansea fan in peace

Some nice comments about the young man .... Guess you think we have signed a decent player ?
Smack bang on the money for your 'typical' Swansea player. Technically excellent, great passer of the ball who will look better playing with better players whose movement off the ball opens the pitch up. Good grounding at League 2 level where he has had to learn to look after himself and whilst not a 'blood and guts' ball winning midfielder he certainly isn't afraid to put his foot in or fly into tackles. Not sure who takes your Free Kicks for you at the moment but expect to see him taking a few once he gets his feet under the table. Fully expect him play for the full England team within 5 years.

Last edited:

paperclip

Hi ... Swansea fan in peace

Some nice comments about the young man .... Guess you think we have signed a decent player ?
I guess everyone from the Exeter area who has seen Grimes play thinks you have signed a quality player who has amazing potential.

I would be interested to hear what other Swans fans think about signing a player from L2 though. I can imagine some would be thinking that they should be setting their sights a bit higher?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
He looked completely comfortable and looked the part when I saw him play for England U20s at Bournemouth a few weeks back.

I just hope that Swansea remember he is a teenager and look after him properly.

Swans

Smack bang on the money for your 'typical' Swansea player. Technically excellent, great passer of the ball who will look better playing with better players whose movement off the ball opens the pitch up. Good grounding at League 2 level where he has had to learn to look after himself and whilst not a 'blood and guts' ball winning midfielder he certainly isn't afraid to put his foot in or fly into tackles. Not sure who takes your Free Kicks for you at the moment but expect to see him taking a few once he gets his feet under the table. Fully expect him play for the full England team within 5 years.
From what your saying he sounds like a Leon Britton type player. Leon who cant go on forever, so maybe we are looking at him as a long term replacement .... I think he may be waiting for a while to take the free kicks as long as Gylfi's about.