• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gill and Mackie off in January??

Gurkha Boy

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he was released at the end of the season.
More likely January.

AndyR

I find it hard to believe this. If there are any serious thoughts of selling any more of our better players to Torquay, given what has happened to our former Assistant and the players he signed from us and the fortunes of the two Clubs generally since the Summer, there had better be some proven quality replacements lined up. If not, it would be hard to escape the conclusion that the Club's Management is hell bent on committing suicide.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ill only believe it when i see it and if this happens WTF!! Doubt its true though!! If its though then Mackie has looked really good this year and hes scored a few as well. Both have two year deals so would cost em a reasonable amount(Ide take £90000 for both nothing less).

The club`s weakness ( and the other club`s know it!) is our reluctance to play hardball with want away players and their potential new club.
We are apparently paranoid about keeping disaffected players and we tend to capitulate too easliy when another club comes in for them.
PB rates these two as our best players and feels City won`t stand in their way if pressurised by the offer of good personal deals come January.

LightUser

Saunders/Sercombe/Taylor/Carlisle all back to fitness and our rejuvenated Moxey may leave us feeling we can spare Gill if he's not back on peak form come January. A midfield heavy squad that would benefit from some fresh blood up front and in defence in January. Trust in Tis.

Gozzer

The club`s weakness ( and the other club`s know it!) is our reluctance to play hardball with want away players and their potential new club.
We are apparently paranoid about keeping disaffected players and we tend to capitulate too easliy when another club comes in for them.
PB rates these two as our best players and feels City won`t stand in their way if pressurised by the offer of good personal deals come January.
I think that the club's approach in this matter has been sound. I don't want to see players turning out for City who are just going through the motions and picking up their wage packet and I doubt anyone else does. I remember the likes of Neil Whitworth doing that for the best part of a season. IMO that belongs in the bad old days.

Ian Sideman

Bit bored with it all Red. Never could cope with interminable meetings where people espouse their own attributes and criticise others, whilst displaying a total lack of willingness to do bugger themselves.

This thread on the other hand is great.

Could be true, might not.

I seriously believe that Gill has brought little to the table this season, he is fine when it is laid on a plate for him but seems unable to move out of his comfort zone without losing his rag. Mackie on the other hand is a fine young player who is getting better all the time, Bucks knows this and would probably turn the boy into a top striker. I suggested that someone would come in for him on another thread but suspected that the Scum would be the only West Country team with deep enough pockets, if Bucks has the cash then good luck to him. Dean stamp will step up and Sercs could replace Gill now.

Pretty much agree with all you've said in the last paragraph. You're clearly a man of high intellect. ;)

Ian

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any want away player can go in my book. No matter who they are.

I don't think we have a single player who would command a fee of more than £10-15k, so anything above that I'd snap Torquay's hand off.

W

we all laugh at torqueer

after we have done the double over the chipnickers and have gone above them no one will be wanting to leave...
well you have to believe dont you.

andrew p long

Pretty much agree with all you've said in the last paragraph. You're clearly a man of high intellect. ;)

Ian
Ian

good to see you back.I'm a bit surprised you haven't been crowing on here more about what you posted in the summer- that Buckle was a great move by Torquay,City should have appointed Bucks as manager when AI left and
' watch those Gulls fly '.

Anything to add?

Andrew

L

London Exile

I'd let Mackie and Gill go if we got a decent offer for them both. Give the captains armband to either Steve Tully or Adam.