• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gazza on the Piers Morgan Show

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
You can blame the alcohol if you like, but I like my booze and when ****** I don't become a ***** nor do I beat my wife. If I ever got looked over at work, I wouldn't go running into the stationery cupboard and trash it.
This is a good point. It's recently been proved that violence is not a side-effect of alcohol use and is in fact because people think they have a socially acceptable reason to be violent when drunk. It's most likely that Gazza is just a *****.

That said, addiction is a mental illness and I will bite.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is a good point. It's recently been proved that violence is not a side-effect of alcohol use and is in fact because people think they have a socially acceptable reason to be violent when drunk. It's most likely that Gazza is just a *****.

That said, addiction is a mental illness and I will bite.
Theres a surprise. It is an illness for the weak.

Saying "But I'm an alcoholic I can't help it, I need a drink" is a bit like saying "I can't find any jobs out there". Try hard enough and there is always a way out.

Sprocket

This is a good point. It's recently been proved that violence is not a side-effect of alcohol use.
Really? I find that very hard to believe. Alcohol impairs judgement and reduces inhibitions, such that someone who would not normally react violently in a situation when sober chooses to do so when drunk.

I appreciate that you could spin it a certain way, but I'd be amazed if the vast majority of educated medical opinion did not point to violence as a clear side-effect of alcohol use.

Willy Nilly

There's also no reason why being and ***** and being an addict are mutually exclusive.

Grecian_Jay

There's also no reason why being and ***** and being an addict are mutually exclusive.
Exactly, Spacky isn't an addict.

Willy Nilly

:)

Gazza is a ***** and also an addict.

les.gtfc

I'll always have Gazza to thank for my favourite ever England moment though. I was at Wembley in Euro 96 when he scored that goal against Scotland.

My second favourite ever England moment came a few days later on - Stuart Pearce's reaction when he scored that penalty against Spain.

All that was surpassed though a couple of years later in 1998 as my all-time footballing moment ever was seeing my team walk out at Wembley for the first time ever.

mfcrocker

Really? I find that very hard to believe. Alcohol impairs judgement and reduces inhibitions, such that someone who would not normally react violently in a situation when sober chooses to do so when drunk.

I appreciate that you could spin it a certain way, but I'd be amazed if the vast majority of educated medical opinion did not point to violence as a clear side-effect of alcohol use.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15265317

Theres a surprise. It is an illness for the weak.

Saying "But I'm an alcoholic I can't help it, I need a drink" is a bit like saying "I can't find any jobs out there". Try hard enough and there is always a way out.
I did not claim that there isn't a level of moral responsibility, but it is definitely a mental illness and to claim otherwise is a horrible lack of empathy. No shock from you.

Note I am very specifically not calling it a disease, nor am I saying that there isn't fault in the alcoholic. I am saying it isn't solely a willpower issue.

Grecian_Jay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15265317

I did not claim that there isn't a level of moral responsibility, but it is definitely a mental illness and to claim otherwise is a horrible lack of empathy. No shock from you.

Note I am very specifically not calling it a disease, nor am I saying that there isn't fault in the alcoholic. I am saying it isn't solely a willpower issue.
And as usual you are wrong but keep going, maybe even post some brilliant link to a government survey r something like usual.

mfcrocker

And as usual you are wrong but keep going, maybe even post some brilliant link to a government survey r something like usual.
Close, have something from Stanford University you won't read instead: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mental-illness/#WhePeoMenIllResForSymBeh

Also just as a quick note, just going "you're wrong" without any reasoning makes you look like a proper thickie. Just saying, like.