• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Football to resume on June 6

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Footballers need to abide by the lockdown rules. As we know with Kyle Walker for example they are incapable of doing so.
Very true Hants and we all know his wasn't a case of just one footballer breaking the rules they're have been quite a few

geoffwp

Very true Hants and we all know his wasn't a case of just one footballer breaking the rules they're have been quite a few
Too many of them, particularly the stellar wealthy prem type, really do believe the rubbish hype that surrounds them and that rules do not apply to them. I guess though that being very handy with your feet doesn't necessarily mean you are handy with your brain.

Legohead

Banned
Too many of them are simply just too arrogant. Goes with the territory unfortunately. Rich young men, most of which get paid fortunes for being really average yet they believe they are world superstars. Always gonna get arrogance when delusions of grandeur is the predominant culture in top level football.

geoffwp

Too many of them are simply just too arrogant. Goes with the territory unfortunately. Rich young men, most of which get paid fortunes for being really average yet they believe they are world superstars. Always gonna get arrogance when delusions of grandeur is the predominant culture in top level football.
I think part of the problem as well is how their clubs often appear to treat them. Wrap in cotton wool, slow to discipline because of their perceived value to the team etc. The consequence being too many of them see it as a blind eye being turned to things happening outside the pitch and dressing room. Just as long as those aren't effected there is less willingness to act.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I doubt its just some footballers who are breaking the lockdown rules, I would imagine many young people around the country are, its just that the footballers get highlighted. I don't think its about wealth or arrogance, more about boredom.

DB9

I doubt its just some footballers who are breaking the lockdown rules, I would imagine many young people around the country are, its just that the footballers get highlighted. I don't think its about wealth or arrogance, more about boredom.
You're probably right but footballers are put on a pedestal by people, media and football clubs as role models, Whether they like it or not. The average young mid 20's lad will get a fine for having a party/gathering but footballers are told about their responsibilities by the club, Make an apology (Again and Again) then go down the mental health route to get sympathy (In Walkers case) Imagine of SAF or Cloughie was still a manager, One sniff of doing something wrong and those players wouldn't know what hit them, Even todays pampered prima donnas.

Seems like the footballers want the adulation and all the riches that comes with it but think rules don't apply to them.

DB9

This happens while football is suspended, Even behind closed doors i'd be worried if i were a footballer

StudentGrecian

You're probably right but footballers are put on a pedestal by people, media and football clubs as role models, Whether they like it or not. The average young mid 20's lad will get a fine for having a party/gathering but footballers are told about their responsibilities by the club, Make an apology (Again and Again) then go down the mental health route to get sympathy (In Walkers case) Imagine of SAF or Cloughie was still a manager, One sniff of doing something wrong and those players wouldn't know what hit them, Even todays pampered prima donnas.

Seems like the footballers want the adulation and all the riches that comes with it but think rules don't apply to them.

Walker’s latest wrongdoing was going to visit his family and not correctly socially distancing. Thousands of people will have also done this, they just aren’t followed around by journalists.
Of course they are paid millions and should be setting an example, but to knowing you will be vilified by the press for every mistake you make can’t be easy.

Nobody questioning the journo, who has obviously been sat outside his house waiting for him to leave, then tailing him everywhere he goes. Is that essential travel?

DB9

Walker’s latest wrongdoing was going to visit his family and not correctly socially distancing. Thousands of people will have also done this, they just aren’t followed around by journalists.
Of course they are paid millions and should be setting an example, but to knowing you will be vilified by the press for every mistake you make can’t be easy.

Nobody questioning the journo, who has obviously been sat outside his house waiting for him to leave, then tailing him everywhere he goes. Is that essential travel?
Might not be easy but as you say its his LATEST wrong doing, Not the first one or second one but THIRD and looking at the photos I dont even think there were Journo's there, They look like a neighbour has taken them on their phone and sold the photos. Plus I'd imagine after the incidents the club and his agent would have told him to not to do this because of the reasons you give but nowadays everyone has a camera ready

andrew p long

Interview with Julian Tagg about the current situation.
really important and interesting interview.

i was pleased to see Taggy make the distinction between voiding and ending the season now. He was asked whether the season should now be made null and void and answered by reference to ‘ending’ the season , which is a different concept and keeps alive City 4 Argyle 0 as well as Ollie Watkins 22 Championship goals!