• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Football to resume on June 6

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Has it been said if it’s has to be the same decision for all three divisions?

or for example can L2 be null and void but L1 plays there remaining games?
So long as a solution to promotion and relegation is found I should think they could make their own decisions. But I would have thought L1 and L2 should come to the same conclusion.

Legohead

Banned
L1 & L2 seems to be spoken about in a different context from some of the discussions I have heard.
No idea if this is correct of course.

The Championship will be a bit different in the fact that it’s wrapped up with issues with the PL.
Yes but the Championship is part of the EFL so whatever happens for leagues 1&2 must therefore happen in the Champs otherwise that's a clear legal issue right there surely?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not a betting man but if I was I would put money on the EFL deciding the leagues on PPG. Keeping the playoffs and probably playing them under strict control at St George Park.

All teams will then have been promoted on merit and the final results will be a fair reflection on how they have performed throughout the season.

Having said that if they do decide to continue with the playoffs Port Vale fans will be a bit miffed too.

Given our recent playoffs history I am obviously not a great fan of them but as the saying goes needs must when the devil drives.

We will play Colchester who looked a very good team, fast direct attack with a big strong uncompromising defence, when they played at St James Park. It was a nil nil draw but they could easily have taken all three points. Although earlier it had been a different story when we played them at The Colchester Community Stadium as this time we had looked the better team.

One thing for sure if we get past Colchester and end up facing Northampton with our record against them we could well end up adding another playoff defeat to the others we have suffered.

Ideal scenario for me would be a final between ourselves and Cheltenham which would then settle any argument as to whether Cheltenham deserved to finish above us.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
How are they getting it though when they've been locked down without working like the majority of us for the last 7 weeks. That's what I'd like to know.
Probably because people they live with are still working, be that for the NHS, or food retail, or any number of industries/professions that have been told they should continue to work where it is 'safe' to do so, such as construction.

My daughter works in our local shop which is pretty lightly controlled (only one customer in the shop at any one time) but even that puts her (and therefore the rest of us) at a heightened risk. It's worse in the supermarkets - every time I've visited my local Waitrose since lockdown there's always one feckwit in there who ignores or forgets the 2m rule - often members of staff. And even if you are able to keep away from others, all it takes if for you to pick up a bottle of milk that someone else has been fingering and then scratch your nose...

So that's how they're getting it, and unless you are self-isolating or shielding, it's as much luck as good hygiene if you haven't caught it yet. Living in the SW helps where instances of C-19 are fewer, for now.

Legohead

Banned
So if this the case then how can football even start? There will be no vaccine next season so what are they going to do? Lock players away at isolated training camps away from other people for the duration of a season? If not then players will always be self isolating because players will always be testing positive so it becomes a farce and clubs cannot play certain players because they are self isolating. It's ridiculous. It will get to a point where we have to accept we have to live with this virus in the absence of rubbish scientists not finding a vaccine if football and other things we enjoy are to be able to take place again.

ryancooper327

Not a talksport fan but it’s all I’ve got sports wise so put it on this morning. I’m sure I heard them discussing today that (PL) players will be able to opt out from playing. Surely that would massively affect the integrity of the competition if teams with nought to play for put out a load of kids like the usual end of season debacle. Shouldn’t the PL AND EFL have the same outcome?!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Probably because people they live with are still working, be that for the NHS, or food retail, or any number of industries/professions that have been told they should continue to work where it is 'safe' to do so, such as construction.

My daughter works in our local shop which is pretty lightly controlled (only one customer in the shop at any one time) but even that puts her (and therefore the rest of us) at a heightened risk. It's worse in the supermarkets - every time I've visited my local Waitrose since lockdown there's always one feckwit in there who ignores or forgets the 2m rule - often members of staff. And even if you are able to keep away from others, all it takes if for you to pick up a bottle of milk that someone else has been fingering and then scratch your nose...

So that's how they're getting it, and unless you are self-isolating or shielding, it's as much luck as good hygiene if you haven't caught it yet. Living in the SW helps where instances of C-19 are fewer, for now.
SG you are absolutely correct particularly your penultimate para. You do find yourself instinctively touching your face or responding to an itch. We have received various advice on whether or not to wear gloves personally I think one benefit of doing so is, even though they can still become infected, wearing them makes you less likely to touch your face and keeps you mindful of the risk associated with doing so.

StudentGrecian

Sorry but some of this isn't believable. Walker is a high profile footballer and therefore should be acutely aware that anything he does (wrong) will be closely reported on. If he does nothing wrong then there is nothing for a reporter to report. If he stays at home or undertakes an essential journey like the rest of us have had to then he has done nothing wrong and thus there is nothing for the reporter to report.

Obviously the journo sat outside has questions to answer if this is the case and I agree with you there but Walker is a f**kwit and deserves the negative press IMO.
You’re right, I’m certainly not defending Walker, of course he is stupid for doing such things knowing that it’ll more than likely come out.

Just questioning wether it’s right for the press to attack him in the way they have. Weird that people feel sorry for what’s happened to Gazza, but still support a media that intrudes on every part of the modern players life which could lead to some of the same problems Gazza had later in life.

Legohead

Banned
You’re right, I’m certainly not defending Walker, of course he is stupid for doing such things knowing that it’ll more than likely come out.

Just questioning wether it’s right for the press to attack him in the way they have. Weird that people feel sorry for what’s happened to Gazza, but still support a media that intrudes on every part of the modern players life which could lead to some of the same problems Gazza had later in life.
I agree. The press are a disgrace and whilst i'm not defending them. It goes with the territory. If you can't handle it then pack in your job as a footballer and get another job. Either that or simply behave like a mature adult. The lack of the latter part of that sentence pretty much summing up why footballers frequently end up in the papers.

If you have a mental illness then the help has never been more available to top footballers as it is today. Gazza clearly IMO has mental health issues and has not been able to resolve them sadly. His playing career was at a time where people could not admit they had them let alone get any help so although Gazza has had more help than most in subsequent years and still spurned most opportunities he's had to help himself, he's of that era where mental health awareness was pretty much zero and so he can be afforded a bit more leeway. Many of his mental health issues and erratic character traits caused by them became embedded because they were allowed to take root over a significant number of years.

We also live in an age of social media and everyone having the facility to film / record anything anyone gets up to which is why IMO many of these footballers like Walker are even more stupid. Whatever they do will inevitably be picked up by someone somewhere. Even if it's not a journo camped out side their house.

I've had difficulties with mental health for many years and read many books and seen many counsellors. Whilst i'm not an expert, IMO the likes of Kyle Walker and Riyad Mahrez don't have a depressive illness or a mental health disorder such as bi polar etc. Both are just spolit, immature, overpaid, whining pathetic tossers with an inflated ego that needs taking down a few pegs back to reality. Gazza meanwhile IMO does struggle with various mental health challenges which contribute greatly to his erratic behaviour. He has struggle for most of his life and will continue to do so if the recent story if him having a **** up with some acquaintances in a shed on a caravan park in Gainsborough are anything to go by.

Last edited:

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
There are hundreds of top level footballers. Only a handful make it into the press for the wrong reasons, and that’s because they’re the tw@ts.

Reactions: DB9