• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Football to resume on June 6

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
About time the pro game better reflected the amateur game.

Players told to rock up, changed, half an hour before kick off
They stagger out on to the pitch in drips and drabs. We can assess who is hungover and who can't find their shin pads in the boot
They knock a few balls about whilst comparing gossip and notes about latest conquests
Manager calls them all round in a big circle and sticks an easel and whiteboard out
5 minutes of tactics and arguing, all on mike

First half

Half time on the pitch. Everyone has their own mini bag with half an orange, an energy biscuit and bottle of lucozade
Manager recovenes white board and waves arms even more frantically as players lie prostrate on the ground not listening
Two players jog off and throw up by the corner flag

Second half

Game ends with everyone mouthing off at the ref from 2m away
Players stand in a long line, discarding all clothes other than their athletic supports.
Groundsman gets his hose and jet washes everyone down
Everyone shuffles back to their car, trying to dry off and put tshirts and shorts back on

Put all that on TV, be entertaining .
You forgot the fags at half time RP...Which seemed the norm in Sunday League games in the early 1980s 😁

Oldsmobile-88

Got me recalling a Sunday game at Lympstone Royal Marine camp.
A few lads turned up the worse for wear,not a great idea when playing a load of obviously very fit players.
It was a hell of a hiding 😁.
Soon forgotten because the marines hospitality after the game was 1st class as usual,free booze in the Sgts Mess & a Curry laid on.

IndoMike

Got me recalling a Sunday game at Lympstone Royal Marine camp.
A few lads turned up the worse for wear,not a great idea when playing a load of obviously very fit players.
It was a hell of a hiding 😁.
Soon forgotten because the marines hospitality after the game was 1st class as usual,free booze in the Sgts Mess & a Curry laid on.
I have a brother-in-law and nephew who were Lympstone marines .Great blokes.

andrew p long

You forgot the fags at half time RP...Which seemed the norm in Sunday League games in the early 1980s 😁
and the second half fist fight...:(

IndoMike

and the second half fist fight...:(
And that was just the supporters on the touchlines...

Legohead

Banned
I remember once playing for a boys Sunday league side in the Doncaster league away at Rossington Main and next to the pitch there were some climbing frames.

Sat on these climbing frames were a bunch of 90's chavs watching the game and constantly shouting abuse at us.

I had a shot at goal and missed and all I could hear was a load of jeers and laughing from these scrotes so I gave them the middle finger.

One shouted do that again and I'll slice your finger off. Thought he was a **** so I did it again and this lad pulled out a huge blade from inside his jacket and showed me it.

I was ******** myself.

I had to be subbed and quickly bundled into the managers car so we could drive off and get away quickly as they were coming after us.

Fantastic days. Lol

Oldsmobile-88

I have a brother-in-law and nephew who were Lympstone marines .Great blokes.
Loved playing there.They had a couple of really good pitches.
My Uncle was in the RM for 35 years
A different world back then,we just drove into the camp past the guard & parked up.
When I was working there a couple of years ago you had to give the camp 48 hours notice with name & registration before entry.
A comprehensive check is carried out on the vehicle inside & out before entry is allowed.

Legohead

Banned
Bbc are showing a live South Korean league match from 10.50am if anyone is interested. It's on the BBC sport football site not on telly.

Red Devon

A different world back then,we just drove into the camp past the guard & parked up.
When I was working there a couple of years ago you had to give the camp 48 hours notice with name & registration before entry.
A comprehensive check is carried out on the vehicle inside & out before entry is allowed.
Even worse theses days you now to do all that plus fill out a form with all your details on again in the pass office.

IndoMike

Those lads trained hard and played hard. Different world. But good lads. Both football mad : one Man City fan and one Luton.🙄. City didn't catch on with them. God knows when City will play again.