• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Walsall Matchday Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Randall probably made the mistake of thinking about that shot when he was clean through on goal. Iit's quite common for young players to break through into the senior side full of confidence and skills and have a sensational start to their footballing careers as did Joel. After time other teams learn players skills and abilities and it becomes time to become a more structured player, Randall needs to understand his limitations and team role whilst retaining that electroc pace and ball skills. We've had individualistic players displaying massive promise before, the ones that make it are the ones that work at getting the best out of what they have. Seems like Josh Key had a similar drop in confidence but hopefully is making the return to form now.

Trapdoor

Randall and Seymore both should have buried their chances. Both were quite easy opportunities which at this level need to be finished. Horrible.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Randall probably made the mistake of thinking about that shot when he was clean through on goal. Iit's quite common for young players to break through into the senior side full of confidence and skills and have a sensational start to their footballing careers as did Joel. After time other teams learn players skills and abilities and it becomes time to become a more structured player, Randall needs to understand his limitations and team role whilst retaining that electroc pace and ball skills. We've had individualistic players displaying massive promise before, the ones that make it are the ones that work at getting the best out of what they have. Seems like Josh Key had a similar drop in confidence but hopefully is making the return to form now.
Key's performance level dipped when he was playing right wing, at right back / right wing back he has been excellent pretty much all season.

IndoMike

Starting to get a bit tired of hearing about the pitch. "You can't play the fast flowing football we want to play on that pitch" Well find another way to play then because that's the pitch we've got. It's not like its a surprise!
Hope Matt is not going to go full Tisdalian on us. Matt, if the pitch is rutted and you play two wingers, the logic is to get it to the wings and cross for the big bloke in the middle, rather than play the ball on the ground through the middle . Since Jay and Seymour are not big blokes there was no suitable plan. Yes, Fisher is no Bob Latchford, but he is a big bloke and at least something to aim for.
You can't have it both ways. Either the pitch is OK and we play our passing game or it isn't and we play old-fashioned footie with wingers and big bloke In the middle
Still support Matt but he needs to use a bit more common sense sometimes. It's hard for a winger if he gets down the wing but has nobody to cross the ball to.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
TPC mentioned Ben Seymour and Tom Nicholls in the same breath earlier and to be honest this is how I am feeling towards Ben, that and a cross with MJ.

I think he has got something about him, good hold up play and running off the ball, and runs into the area (just not seen by his colleagues). He needs confidence, to move forward, (you could see and sense his disappointment at missing that effort last night), and to strengthen up. The commentators mentioned last night how MJ seems to have built up and got stronger last night, he isn't so easily shoved off the ball and this is where Ben needs to concentrate. We do tend to forget that this is Ben's first season as a matchday squad player, having only completed two full 90 minutes this season despite being 22 next month, he has to compete with our main striker for game time.

Both MJ and Tom Nicholls had slow starts to their careers with us, they are now 25 and 27 respectively and whilst both are scoring goals it wasn't always the case. We showed a lot of patience with MJ and this is really his first season that he has been one of the first names on the team sheet. Likewise Tom was in the first team squad for five seasons and it wasn't until the final two seasons that he really started to show his potential and earn us some transfer monies, this is possibly where Ben is, he is unlikely to be a major transfer target for other clubs as it stands but beef him up and give him a few more consistent runs with a strike partner and who knows.

Now Alex fisher on the other hand .........

malcolms

MT interviews are now just a cut and paste from the game before..which is disappointing "lacked a bit of quality" "cant fault the boys commitment" etc. I am a great supporter of Matt and believe he's brought an honestly to the role which we lacked before. Unfortunately, he seems not to realise that each and every time he says "we lacked a bit of quality" he is pointing out a failure in his management to provide the player or players of 'quality'

crocks

Its about time Taylor stopped using the pitch as an excuse. The negativety about it will transfer to the players who will feel they cant play on it. I actually thought the pitch was ok last night

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tom Nichols is now 27, this was his record for us, six years ago he scored 15 in 39 games, Nichols has gone on to have a very average career after he left us. He looked streets ahead of Seymour at the same stage though.

Exeter City2010–11[10]League One1000000010
2011–12[11]League One7110002[a]0101
2012–13[27]League Two3000000030
2013–14[34]League Two286100000296
2014–15[47]League Two361510101[a]03915
2015–16[50]League Two221042101[a]02812

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
Hope Matt is not going to go full Tisdalian on us. Matt, if the pitch is rutted and you play two wingers, the logic is to get it to the wings and cross for the big bloke in the middle, rather than play the ball on the ground through the middle . Since Jay and Seymour are not big blokes there was no suitable plan. Yes, Fisher is no Bob Latchford, but he is a big bloke and at least something to aim for.
You can't have it both ways. Either the pitch is OK and we play our passing game or it isn't and we play old-fashioned footie with wingers and big bloke In the middle
Still support Matt but he needs to use a bit more common sense sometimes. It's hard for a winger if he gets down the wing but has nobody to cross the ball to.
Bad pitches,two wingers, big bloke in the the middle and a little one sniffing around for the knock downs- that's real football. Can't stand this modern nonsense with constantly changing formations, passing sidewards and backwards. No thanks, I'll stick to wearing my rose tinted specs and fetch my coat!

IndoMike

Bad pitches,two wingers, big bloke in the the middle and a little one sniffing around for the knock downs- that's real football. Can't stand this modern nonsense with constantly changing formations, passing sidewards and backwards. No thanks, I'll stick to wearing my rose tinted specs and fetch my coat!
Modern football certainly has its drawbacks. The trendy thing is to have three central defenders to mark one striker. If that isn't negative then what is?