• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Walsall Matchday Thread

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hindsight is a great thing however in terms of the way the opposition were likely to set up / did set up I think Matt Taylor got the set up wrong on Saturday and tonight.

Walsall came and sat deep, they were very content with a point, that was obvious from the off. Playing Seymour as the focal point wasn't likely to work as there was little space in behind them and he has very few physical attributes, last week at Colchester he was more effective because we had more space as Colchester were the home side.

Fisher isn't generally the answer however with Randall and Willmott playing he would have been the more effective option tonight imho.

If Seymour was on loan from a Prem or Champ club people wouldn't be cutting him much slack.
I think he would be a decent scoring striker in the conference to be honest that’s it. He’s 21 I can’t see him ever nailing down the number 9 position here.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sparkes best asset is his crossing ability, he needs to play on the left higher up the pitch, he's a liability defensively and he isn't quick. He's a wide player who needs to get the ball out of his feet and whip balls in, that is his game. I think Taylor is complicating things for him and it isn't working. Sparkes often looks frustrated these days and he has a habit of making ridiculous decisions.

Albumen

If Seymour was on loan from a Prem or Champ club people wouldn't be cutting him much slack.
Of course not. Because we’re not invested in loanees. Our whole system is built on developing youth and selling them on. Subsequently we, I think rightly, allow more time for the academy boys.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course not. Because we’re not invested in loanees. Our whole system is built on developing youth and selling them on. Subsequently we, I think rightly, allow more time for the academy boys.
They need to be good enough though, I think we could do better than Seymour in terms of a young striker that we could develop. Seymour is 22 next month, he isn't a baby.

Albumen

They need to be good enough though, I think we could do better than Seymour in terms of a young striker that we could develop. Seymour is 22 next month, he isn't a baby.
Maybe. But he is young in terms of minutes on the pitch. And certainly in terms of starts.

I reckon/hope he will come good. But that’s just me. And a billion things could go wrong. I like his application. And he has a good technical ability. Worth more time.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sparkes is going backwards big time.

Shame as I think he has some quality.

Playing him on the right is a farce.
Agreed, he does have some quality, lacks a bit of consistency but needs to stay on the left side of the field

PeteUSA

Thought Andresson played well, with what little he had to do.

Legohead

Banned
I think a lot of credit can be given to the lads tonight for their energy and tempo. Also the movement in non dangerous areas was a joy to watch as was the passing once again. I did enjoy the match overall. It was the final third that let us down hugely and was massively frustrating as it was clear at half time that the game looked like panning out to a 0-0 and needed changes to avoid this. Changes that required a certain standard of personnel in order to be more clinical and effective. Personnel that, in the absence of Bowman we simply do not have.

Randall got a start and disappointed overall. We look a nice side but we've got no brutal edge to our play to get wins at any cost. In effect, we have no plan B.

Grecian Max

Genuinely think Jamie Reid had more use and more about him than Seymour. Because Ben looks a bit like Nichols everyone thinks he will make it :LOL: