• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Mansfield Town Match Day Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mr Harris, I encourage you to go and watch the highlights from the win against Sutton last month. Both goals are an example of the understanding Jay and Nombe do have between each other and it will only increase as they spend more and more time playing together. Until then they’re still both scoring a hatful of goals. While I understand why you feel as you do, I really don’t think we have anything to complain about in that department
Fair enough, I have. A couple of things, it shows the statics that I read are wrong because quite clearly Jay set up both goals and according to the statistics Jay has only set up one goal all season. More importantly this is the first game where Taylor reverted to playing 4-4-2 during the game. Now if my memory serves correctly Brown played with Nombe (be it beside him or in behind him) at the start with Jay the more advanced role in midfield when we were playing 3-5-2 at the start and then shifted to a wide midfield role when we 4-4-2 when Edwards came on just after the hour mark. Both goals quite clearly came on the counter with Jay leading the charge with the ball from midfield. He was playing a different role (in midfield) to that that he is now being asked to play (for me, his more natural No 10 role) with a very different perspective on the game. He wasn't being asked to be part of the partnership for that game that he is now.

Antony Moxey

It isn’t. We played one earlier (possibly Sutton) when we started 4-5-1 and finished up 4-4-2.

grecIAN Harris

It isn’t. We played one earlier (possibly Sutton) when we started 4-5-1 and finished up 4-4-2.
We're on about the Sutton game if you actually bother to read properly instead of speed skimming.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair enough, I have. A couple of things, it shows the statics that I read are wrong because quite clearly Jay set up both goals and according to the statistics Jay has only set up one goal all season.
The first goal vs Sutton was an OG. Jay put Nombe in on goal, but Nombe’s shot (which was going wide) hit the defender and deflected into the goal, so that can’t be a ‘direct’ assist by Jay. If anything, it must be a Nombe assist…

I know I might incur the wrath of exeweb, but I agree with much of what Ian says. I wouldn’t drop Jay but he’s right in what he sees.

'Alas! How terrible is wisdom if it doesn't profit the wise......'.

Therefore I'm out of this!

grecIAN Harris

The first goal vs Sutton was an OG. Jay put Nombe in on goal, but Nombe’s shot (which was going wide) hit the defender and deflected into the goal, so that can’t be a ‘direct’ assist by Jay. If anything, it must be a Nombe assist…
We are getting picky now aren't we.

I was told at a young age to never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

I like what you say but best to leave it now!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just realised that MJ's goal was another one "Made in Debun" (more precisely made at the Exeter Academy) -

Key to Collins to MJ

That's 2 games in a row where our x academyites have linked up to score - 3 in a row at Salford please !

UTC & Up the Academy !

Colesman Ballz

Mr Harris, I encourage you to go and watch the highlights from the win against Sutton last month. Both goals are an example of the understanding Jay and Nombe do have between each other and it will only increase as they spend more and more time playing together. Until then they’re still both scoring a hatrunsful of goals. While I understand why you feel as you do, I really don’t think we have anything to complain about in that department
He may have difficulty fitting that in between watching re-runs of "Strickley" ! :p

WXF

Actually you're the one being picky and using the fact that Matt Jay isn't perfect as justification to criticise him. It's not disssimilar to what Pete USA does regarding goalkeepers. It's tedious and fallacious. Football isn't about being perfect, but doing better than other teams, something Jay is making a significant contribution towards.