• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Mansfield Town Match Day Thread

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
But scoring goals is not the problem for City at the moment. Its stopping giving away sloppy goals....
League 2 teams tehd to give away sloppy goals, like the one yesterday. That's partly why they are in L2. It's hard to get the balance right. But when we were not giving goals away we weren't scoring them either. I'll take a messy 2-1 win over a clean sheet any day.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jay isn’t a forward that’s why. We tried this with MJ up top with Nombe v Crawley for a period of time and it wasn’t great, required a switch up and red card to sort that out. It won’t work and doesn’t get the best of Jay.
Get it right............ Jay isn't a striker but he is a forward. He is a No.10, hence my archaic 80's comparison. He plays in the same way Beardsley used to with Lineker, just in a little pocket behind.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
MJ wasn't playing well in the early part of the season when we had a string of goalless draws. Maybe being captain didnt help?

He has since found a way to be more involved in games and scored lots of goals.

To me, the issue is who else to leave out to include Amond, who is very effective. Sometimes you have to sacrifice width to attack. Amond does actually like to get out wide left so maybe the problem isn't that great? Play all 3 of Amond, Jay and Nombe. Dieng, Collins and Taylor or Brown. Key, Sweeney or Ray, Hartridge and Daniel or Caprice.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Max, completely OT but every time I see your avatar I can’t help think it looks like you’re wearing a hat with helicopter blades on top of it.

Anyway, as you were, and yes, agree with you entirely about dropping Jay. Think Harris has banged his head on a goal post one time too many.

dontpassback

Clinton had a good word for us.
Yes he always does as does Sam Parkin,Murray is too obsessed with the green slime down the road,but that like their league position won’t last long

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why do 'EFL on Quest' continue to dismiss ECFC. Hardly a mention again. Totally overlooked when discussing the league table etc. Nice to be under the radar, but why are we ignored?
I wouldn't know. I record it and fast forward through the talking.

scottus86

Dropping Matt Jay after he has scored in the last 3 games, has captained us to a 12 game unbeaten run, and is the focal point of our team for someon who hasn't scored a goal for us yet just seems a bit deluded and on the verge of trolling.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 video

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mansfield were poor so we simply had to beat them. They had no physicality or pace in their side and they struggled to retain the ball. Pretty pathetic considering the amount of money they have. Clough and his sidekick were the typical complain about every decision that goes against them types that we see most weeks.

I haven't read through the thread, so I'm sure it's already been touched on, but what happened to Owura yesterday? His control was abysmal and he ran around like a headless chicken without achieving anything. When Jevani came on the difference in quality and composure was clear to see.

Daniel was much improved, and Collins was excellent and M of M for me but Hartridge did play well.

jimmy

No doubt that Edwards-Owura is raw. He's fast but needs a lot of coaching of even the basics..like controlling a football!

Be interesting to see if he will make that step to the Championship. A bit like Williams.

Can certainly be a good weapon for us to have in our artillery this year.